"We're not Tennessee. We're Vanderbilt." -- Aaron Hayden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TangoUniform, Nov 10, 2017.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Garner was too small to do the things Cobb could. In the O that made Garner a good pro, Cobb would have been a bad cat.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And some nasty defenders.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Ok but Garner did it in two places. I agree that Garner didn’t have much power. Neither did Barry Sanders or Warrick Dunn.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Sanders’ legs were bigger than Garner’s waist.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Ok but both had similar running styles. Sanders got stopped behind the LOS more than any rb in history. Garner is a poor mans Barry Sanders. But a poor mans Sanders is still a pro bowler.

thagodfather likes this.
  6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Poor man’s sanders. Sanders was hard to tackle. Garner was quick and deadly in the screen game. Multi purpose type. Sanders could run over you

I’m a garner fan, but I wouldn’t take him over Cobb or Stephens.

NYY likes this.
  7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yup. We signed those three and then Riggs the next year IIRC.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I had classes with Amsler. Dude was a movie star on campus. Again, if there were cell phone cams and twitter, etc back then...harper, pickens, hobby, Hayworth, cobb, morgan, amsler...that was a fun time on campus and players mingled with students a lot. I think that's stopped a bit with technology.

9. Ssmiff

you remember Victor Brown by chance? I think that was his name. Backup db that couldn't get on field because we had nfl players. But on kickoffs, he was a missile. Big db, muscular and fast. First one down and would go Superman parallel into the wall and they would tumble like bowling pins. 100k going "Boooom!". Please tell me someone remembers him.

10. Ssmiff

I hear you, but I don't think Garner caught many passes. Seems like he should have, but Cobb had great hands too. Garner was, hey, we need 5-6 yards at least, pitch it to Charlie.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yes I do. Was he that early? I was thinking he was Shuler era.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, Victor Brown was later.

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I always thought Earnest Fields was the catylist of that defense.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I meant to list him.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I consider Floyd Miley an Olympic level track athlete because I grew up hearing John Ward describe his running

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Todd Kelly was a backup that year as a Junior if that tells you anything.

18. Ssmiff

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That reminded me that Todd Kelly Jr. exists. What’s his deal? Is he back next year or out of eligibility?

20. Ssmiff

another reminder about Ward for those that didn't enjoy him live, compared to Kesling

Greg Hendricks back to kick for the Irish from the right hash. Kick is up and good, 34-7..., "eh uhhhh, bob, dat kick didn't mayk it, somebody's got it". It's Floyd Mayweather!.. Floyd to the 50! the 40! Whatever is next! into the cheggarboardz, touchdown Tennuhseee

A-Smith likes this.