We've been sort of called out!

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Nov 7, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wet field. Scholarship players. Playing at home.

AT HOME! How can our boys be expected to handle all that USCjr was bringing AND playing at home??

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Supposed to rain more this week.

Does North Texas give schollys?

Medley with a late FG to take the lead!

3. Beechervol

Lyle makes Mike Gundy look sane after the game.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I am going to probably piss someone off, but I wish to address this attitude toward hoping to lose to get the guy pretending to be a SEC coach fired.

I understand the thinking, I want him out as badly as anyone, and just the fact that Vol fans are voicing such a thing is indictment enough of this current staff. It will take even worse coaching than he or Doufous Dooley to bring me to what strikes me as going too far. Maybe OV and I represent a generational gap here on the 8th, but dammit guys, think about the players who put in those two-a-days in August heat, play hurt, get abused by coaches when they mess up.

If you have never played football, you may not realize how it hurts to do what you do every play. Just because they are in pads and helmets, it still hurts to tackle, be tackled, get pancaked by guys like OV, or be blindsided on a kick off. The worse hit I took was on a kick off when a guy laid me out. You get used to it, but many suffer for life from injuries. I want those who espouse this idea to think about this post every time you start to say it.

An old VFL's rant is over, carry on, ridicule if you must.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't see anyone hoping they lose.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Yesterday was perfect. A win, but horribly coached and poorly played.

7. Beechervol

For the players.

I would hope they are properly coach which would give them the chance to win something and move on. Its sad when you have little to no confidence in that happening as things are.

8. NorrisAlan

It was perfect. Player makes a play to end the game despite the coaching. And then the after game presser.

Mondays presser will be interesting.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think I've said it before.

I don't apologize for it, either. I want whatever it takes to get this idiot out ASAP, for similar reasons to what RB listed.

Those kids bust their humps daily and are getting shafted by this moron screwing them out of games.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  10. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

That's not going to get a coaching change.

11. NorrisAlan

At this point nothing other than him leaving will get him out this year. Make him squirm with stupid coaching decisions. Make him realize this job is not for him.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Vandy loss might help.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Playing devil's advocate here, but if we were all but assured that a loss on Saturday meant Butch was gone and we'd go make a good hire, would it not be better for the players to want to see Tennessee lose?

I'll never cheer for a loss, but I can't help but think that each win against shitty teams to close out the season is helping to ensure more inexcusable losses by Lyle and Co. in the future.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've been on the side of the fence as to having your coach fired. It's hard for players, especially if you like your coach. The majority of people really don't understand what takes play at the college level. There are NO healthy players out there on that field. Everyone is banged up to some degree. Well maybe not kickers, they don't do much! Lol. These kids play for the pure love of playing the game. It's only years later that they will understand the price they paid to play it. Old injuries creep up and cause pain the rest of your life. I will never criticize a kid that plays, no matter how much or how little. Even who or where they play. Players get my respect always.

Now coaches on the other hand is a different matter. Coaches are fair game. Their loyalty is to who writes their check. It is a job that most are paid well to do. If that coach is not doing the right thing, which in today's game is to win, then his job should be on the line.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Here's one.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

100% correct.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. I don't think that is a common opinion. It certainly isn't one held along generational lines.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Not a large number but not uncommon. I could show more examples, but I am too lazy. Several people voiced it during game day chat. It just irks me, everyone has the right to their opinion.

19. NorrisAlan

I will not lie. I wanted ddiapos to lose. His teams gave up so I felt no qualms over it.

I have not felt sad when we have lost this year. Just mad. I love this team and its players and feel awful that they were sold a bill of goods by this used car salesman.

I hope they win out despite their coach.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I understand the sentiment. Passion is pretty much gone from UT football. Wins and losses don't matter all that much at this point in the season. I was just kind of laughing at the end of the Arkansas game. Same thing when it looked like UGA would blow us out. I'm a fairly sore loser and was definitely even worse in college so I don't want out guys to deal with that. Heck, a guy from my high school made the play to win that terrible game yesterday. But I really want Butch gone. Losses expedite that process. I honestly thought about the time we lost to Arky that the players might be about ready to start wanting to lose. There are guys on the team right now that have done that before.