What does Butch have to do...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

[video=youtube;sGDo1Jybs_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDo1Jybs_I[/video]

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You see Saban as being a "relationship" kind of guy?

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

He's a "Come here, start a year or two, go pro and get drafted in the 1st Round" kinda guy.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Relationships are much more important to a coach with little success in a rebuilding mode.

Winners..relationships are less important for them. Their actions tend to speak for them. Again, notice I said less important not unimportant.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Well, to follow up what I said above... I think a coach in a rebuilding phase can get talented guys but guys that are committed to the rebuild.

The guys Fulmer got late in his tenure, Carroll at USC and IMO Saban now are just going to the school as they see it as the path of least resistance on their way to the NFL.

A lot of these guys want to win but want to be part of a winning team where others shoulder the burden. A lot of these guys just want to be a 1st Rounder. A kid from New Jersey that goes to Alabama? He isn't going there because he loves the crimson tide.

And I think that's where AJ McCarron is correct. He's a sh1thead for airing out dirty laundry but I do think his comments hold truth. It's the same path almost every highly successful program goes down at some point.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ha

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You can sell slogans, promises, and playing time early in a tenure. After that, if the substance is not there it will show up in the 3rd class and anything after that.

Groves nailed as you said. This years class will hold together and may even get better before its over. If he doesn't finish strong on the filed and carry that into next year he will start to slip with the guys he has to get to win here.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup.

Had a decent conversation last night with a friend that has some insight into the program, more than me anyway. I was airing my grievances about the offense and such. He was adamant that I need to be patient. He's not a Butch mouth-breather but legitimately thinks the offense will click when we get a few more players. I won't rehash all of it, but he made good points. He talked me off the ledge, but I'm still wary about long-term prospects on the field. I'm still going to need to see some results before I believe.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Talk me off the ledge, card. And get me to drop the bottle of lighter fluid. and take the gun out of my mouth. And remove my head from the crocodile's open mouth. That is lined with Ebola-contaminated needles. Made of uranium. That was dug out of an Indian burial ground.

10. Beechervol

It will get better with better players no doubt. The question is to what degree.

Im more concerned with the notion that the system is the system. We re gonna run what we run whether we have the pieces to do so or not. Im not totally sure thats the opinion but it sure as heck seems that way.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So...just wait til next year

12. Beechervol

Dang.

13. Beechervol

Oh , don't do it Lyle!

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You just made the crocodile wrestle the gun away and use it on himself. Thanks for nothing.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Beat bammer, and we're square.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm sick of waiting.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sorry man. All my hope for this group was zapped Saturday. Good news is I have Saturdays free

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think everyone is. I feel like Sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Except he at least move the rock up the hill for a bit before it rolled back down. We can't get the bastard to budge.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Gotta love a good Sisyphus reference.

I actually feel like we're closer to Promethius in our pain. We're chained to a rock where an eagle stops by daily to eat our liver as we lay helplessly enduring the excruciating pain.

Or even Tantalus in the depths of Tartarus being surrounded by fruit that perpetually moves out of our grasp when we reach for it to satisfy our hunger while standing in a lake which water level perpetually drops out of the reach of our lips whenever we stoop to quench our thirsts.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014