What does Butch have to do...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 8, 2014.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

To get you back in his corner this year in terms of wins?

Does he have to beat Bama?

Wins against Ole Miss, USCe, and/or Mizzou?

Or is it too far gone and there's no hope whatsoever?

Right now, I think most on here feel that there's a real chance that we pull a first and go 4-8. So what say you? I'm curious to see what everyone has to say...

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He gets one loss in addition to Bama, and it can't be to UK, Vandy or UTC.

Offensive line has to start looking a whole lot better.

Then we'll talk.

Note - this is to exceed expectations. If he doesn't go 6-6, he'll lose what little small part of me he still has.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bowl game. Another 5-7 and I will have a hard time getting hyped for next year. 4-8 and I will wash my hands and gladly be called a fair weather fan if he turns it around.

He hasn't lost me. But I have peered behind the curtain and am shocked at how deficient things look from that angle. I listen to Jayson Swain in the mornings, and he is sold on Butch. But I am not sure how much stock I can put in that, but he played so I have to give it some credence. But that loss Saturday was ugly.

What I don't want to see is a panic move like Peterson was last year. He should throw away the newspaper, turn off the TV and Radio and just do what he thinks is best. Otherwise the fall could be precipitous.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Samesies.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You mean Peterman?

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

So basically wins against USCe, Mizzou, Chatt, UK and Vandy would suffice? I think these, if they were to succeed under your scenario, would be the most logical wins.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. My bad.

8. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Easy...he has to win.

No reason why it has to be complicated.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pretty much. Just take care of business against teams you can take care of it against from here on.

A big deal for me in year 2 of a coach is if he can win the games he should and one or two he shouldn't. He's already got one big strike.

10. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

To me, the first measure of a coach is: win the ones you're supposed to win. Rightly or wrongly, the FL game fell into this category for me. Even as the game unfolded, this was a shoulda won game. The second measure is pick up a win you shouldn't. So, in my mind, even if he succeeds in the second measure, it doesn't make up for failing the first.

11. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Your post beat me to the punch. I type too slow.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I can't imagine anything worse than 5-7 which is pathetic enough. I'm still not a believer in Kentucky, not that they haven't exceeded their own expectations but that didn't take much. South Carolina looks worse than Tennessee so I expect to win 6-7 games with Missouri being the toss up.

If UT can get to a bowl, I'll wait to see how Butch handles the offense and staff before writing him off.

There is a part of me that would like to see a Jauan Jennings at QB in this offense to see how it looks.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Third'd

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Go to a Bowl.

15. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

how bout beat teams he is suppose to beat? Obviously he is 0-1 on that this year, possibly 0-2 if you count UGA

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

After Saturday. Beat UTC, sweep Nov. and we re close to square.

6-6 I can have some patient until next year.

No bowl is an utter failure.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He'll not have any pressure applied to win again until Nov like he did Saturday (less UTC).

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Win 5 more games this season

Wholesale changes on the offensive side

Do not lose to Vandy or UK

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Resign.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That'd piss me off before signing day, unless he announced his buddy Gruden was taking over.