What does Butch have to do...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Oct 8, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If they make changes, then they need to be made because Jones and Company thought they needed to be changed, and not because of outside pressures. That will be the worst thing to happen if outside pressure is causing changes.

If it is internal pressures from themselves, then it is at least a good sign that they are not blind to deficiencies, even if it takes them longer to see it. Which I don't blame them, because we are all blind to the things we hold the most dear, where others see it long before we do.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't care how much we [itch bay] and moan about anything, if there is ever a coaching staff who changes something because of what the fans say and external pressure, then get them out ASAP.

3. NorrisAlan

yep.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If the change occurs due to outside pressure causing them to take a look at an area, that they then find a deficiency, then the change is warranted, and outside pressure helped bring about said change.

If the change is just to appease the outside, but no change is warranted, that is bad.

What is worse is if the outside sees a deficiency, where a deficiency exists, and they look at it, and decide there is no deficiency.

In the first case, the outside is a catalyst. In second, the inside is caving. In the third, the inside lacks competency.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Fair enough.

6. CardinalVol

If a coach that makes $3M can't have a staff that sees a change that the common fan can see and then makes change bases on the outside, then we have major problems.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If anyone hopes to avoid the belief that we have "major problems" as a result of "staff who fail to see necessary changes, that the common fan can see" they should stay out of the Florida Film study thread.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

His recruiting is what's making it hard for me to not support him at least right now. To me that will probably start to slip if he continues to show he can't coach or won't make changes to his staff to put himself in a better position to succeed.

9. fl0at_

Ego gets in the way, especially when dealing with something personally crafted.

Outsider perspective can push through that, if the main party is open to criticism.

10. CardinalVol

Somewhere deep, deep down I've got to believe they are at least seeing the changes that need to be made.

Whether they are capable of correcting it is a different story.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

But sooner or later the turnaround story doesn't fly for recruits without some results. Look at slick rick at ucla. back to back top 10 recruiting classes his first two years at ucla. 3rd year he didn't even break the top 25.

12. fl0at_

The film shouldn't be broken down on the basis of what play should have been called, but what could be done better on the play that was called.

Otherwise, we are just applying hindsight, not making marginal improvements.

Some have been showing where an improvement can be made. Others have shown where a substitute play would be better.

I hope the staff's goal is player improvement, not necessarily self improvement.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Some times criticism strengths ego before failure does.

14. NorrisAlan

Which is my hope that this last game was a big ole ice bucket challenge to the face.

15. Beechervol

Short of a total meltdown, the sales pitch is probably good through this year. Next year it will fall on deaf ears at this point with the same results. When he starts struggling puling players thats a sign that the end is near. So far its his shinning light.

16. Beechervol

Time will tell. They ll win this week. Prolly get hammered the next 2 and then its back to winning games as the standard for victory or failure just like UF.

17. fl0at_

Same kind of issue. Failure can be blamed away.

Criticism is directed toward the individual. If the person is open, then they evaluate accordingly. If they aren't open, then they shrug it off.

Same with shifting blame. A person not open to accepting that the deficiency is internal will blame others. Otherwise they blame themselves.

Both are useful. It depends entirely on the person as to which is more effective.

18. Beechervol

Absolutely.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How much longer are recruits going to buy his shenanigans and cliches if UT doesn't start winning?

20. CardinalVol

While I'm lowering long-term expectations, I'm still bullish enough in the near future (next season and a half) that he'll win enough.