Who really should have been #3 and #4?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TangoUniform, Jan 3, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be fine. I do think that non p-5 teams have to have a way in, that isn't dependent on there being no non-conference champion p-5's with a great record. I don't expect non p-5's to win, but we can't call it a championship if half the teams have no direct way to compete in it.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That idea sucks.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just kidding.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Agreed

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Would like it better than what we have.

I'm still of the opinion, though, that the best thing to do is figure out what ranking everybody likes best and make 1 play 2. Leave everything else the hell alone. All the tourney and faux under bowls do is give a false impression of competition and attempt to generate TV ratings.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Let the committee change it year-to-year. If two teams separate themselves, that's your game. 4, 6, 8? Make Baylor and TCU rematch for a spot? Sure.

You probably can't sell TV rights or secure hosting for that, though.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds kind of like the +1 system, which would be superior to the current one. Though this would have been a +1 year.

8. kidbourbon

If we don't need a four team playoff, why do we need an 8 team one?

9. kidbourbon

Great in theory. Very difficult to administer.

10. kidbourbon

Super easy

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Well, the first 4 team one, a team many said shouldn't be in it at all won it

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The problem is you have talking heads talking about how stupid that is because in week five there are a jillion undefeated teams and it'll never work out. Then it never gets readdressed when it inevitably does work out. Instead those guys whine about how some one loss ACC team whose best OOC win was the Citadel is getting screwed.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yep. And I agree we should never let Ohio State into the playoff again. Whatever system it takes.

14. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Seconded

15. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I like 4. But I'm not sure how long it'll last before people start trying to expand it

16. kidbourbon

And?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i guess we don't always know if #5 doesn't deserve to be there or not. at least any more or less than #4.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

It will expand to an elite 8 after 2019.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

8 is the proper number. Remove a regular season game. 11 game seasons, force conference championship games, force conference champions only for 6 spots with 2 at-large bids. This guarantees every P-5 conference a spot for their champion, a spot for the highest ranked non P-5, and then 2 at-larges for the best of the rest which could include Notre Dame (maybe guarantee them an at-large spot if they finish in the 10 or *sigh the top 15 like they had in the BCS, given they play a real schedule).

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The only thing worse than 8 would be 9.

Given that I've never once heard of a situation where I felt like four teams were justified in their postseason bid for a national championship, I'd be willing to wager that 500 years from now there still won't have been a situation where 8 teams had a valid claim.