Who really should have been #3 and #4?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TangoUniform, Jan 3, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I doubt they get rid of the fcs game anyway if they dropped a game.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just don't agree with the premise. Been several one-loss teams already get there. Doing enough to make that playoff will still be huge. Besides. Fun.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes but those fanbases had to sweat it out. Increase it to 8 and it's a virtual guarantee you get in with one loss if you are a major program

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Isn't this the opposite of the usual argument against that states there always is a bubble team?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right but those are programs that don't deserve a shot in the first place

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

And conference champions are often inarguably not the best team during the regular season. Usually two per year. Often three.

7. kidbourbon

Really?

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Really really. I really don't think people would really feel that way, if the time really came

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree with this. I still want 4

10. kidbourbon

Expanding the playoff necessarily devalues the regular season. When the regular season IS the playoff, it's valued more. I don't see how this is arguable.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You think so?

12. kidbourbon

:: please let it be rhetorical ::

13. JohnnyQuickkick

i think it's all in people's perception and i don't think it'll matter

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You think the inarguably best teams in the regular season are inarguably not champions? Is that not another way of phrasing what you just typed? You think the champions are OFTEN, INARGUABLY, not the best team?

Good day, sir. If I have the hankering for a tennis conversation I will let you know.

15. kidbourbon

Are you making a joke?

How about I put this more concretely: there was not a team out of the Big 12 that was even arguably the best team in the country this year.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

16. kidbourbon

Not quite sure I follow you. Can you elaborate on this?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't think people will sit there and think, "damn, this regular season conference game against Team A just isn't as fun as it used to be because we have an 8 team playoff now"

18. MWR

MWR Contributor

Not to mention a program that has been successful going and hiring a coach like Dooley, and then replacing him with Jones.

Player talking up his team's schedule: "Yeah, we played Tennessee and they are a powerhouse!!"

Level headed person: "Not really, they are pretty bad."

Player talking up his team's schedule: "Yeah, but they used to be good."

Level headed person: "Alabama plays for championships, the Vols talk about shower etiquette and various forms of focus."

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I want to see bowl season eliminated (aside from the playoff) and replaced with a similar system during the middle of the season. No idea how it would actually work, but I want to see bowl-style OOC match ups in the middle of the season based on how teams are ranked and what not.

Maybe force every team in CFB to have a Bye week during week 7 or 8. Then, two weeks before the bye week, release the schedule of match ups.

20. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Ok I want a 16 team playoff. Here is how it works. Pare down to 4 conferences of 16 teams each. Each conference has 4 div. The div winners play a semi conference game. Winners play for conference. Conference champs play in semis and final.

16 games. Div II, III and pros do so why cant the Div I big boys?

Now I want TN to be in the SEC-North div with Vandy, Mizz and UK. That would almost guarantee TN would be in the playoff nearly every yr. Head to head would determine div winner with overall sched being tie breaker.