Who really should have been #3 and #4?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TangoUniform, Jan 3, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're just wrong. Not just because you disagree with me, but also because by your own logic any number besides 8 or 9 would be better, including 1 or 132.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm fairly confident any numbers beyond 9 are purely theoretical, anyway.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If the idea is to figure out who the best team was during the regular season, then 8 is most certainly not the proper number.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The conference championships determine who the best team was in each conference. Let the P-5 conferences send their champs. A playoff with 5 teams is awkward. Not having a path for non P-5 schools is not fair. That brings us to 6. I could roll with 6 with two byes, but I think a bye would be too advantageous. Also, having two "at-large" teams effectively ends any "but so and so..." arguments like with TCU/Baylor two seasons ago.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

play a shit nonconference schedule or lose to someone you shouldn't and you don't get to [itch bay] about not making the playoff imo.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's fair, but the "shit nonconference schedule" can be a moving target and sometimes it is difficult to predict when a team who won their division in 2007 will have losing seasons in 2010.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

true, but it can't be said for Baylor which scheduled a bunch of non bcs bottom feeders. and Baylor still gets in if they don't give up 50 at home to tcu. who are the most royally screwed teams the past say 15 years? auburn in 04 right? then usc multiple times after 05 when they lost to someone shitty like Stanford, but likely would have rolled the completion in any playoff. maybe Oregon in 2001? outside of those I don't see many complaints even with the old system, let alone one that lets in 4.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. Expanding the playoff is fixing a problem that doesn't exist and the movement to do it is spearheaded by EPSN douchebags that don't have enough real stories to talk about.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i like 8, because i think it would be fun. i don't really care about much else.

more than that though I do think it's watered down too much

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that it would be disastrous beyond 8.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I don't advocate going to 8 without dropping a regular season game. Too many games otherwise.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

yeah and i set it up so it ends around NYD instead of waiting a month

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes I agree with this premise. 8 because more football is more fun is the only legit argument IMO. of course it would devalue the regular season to a degree, but that is an argument I can get behind. I still like 4 though because I don't like fun.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

i don't really get why the regular season gets devalued

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

then that's not more fun IMO. at least for not those of us who have no prayer of being part of the 8.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I'd have been fine with just not playing the North Texas and/or Western Carolina games. That wasn't any fun.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do I have to do to make you love me?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh, it's getting rid of some garbage game that they shouldn't be playing anyway.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

because it becomes easy to lose a game or two and still make the playoff. now you lose a game and your world is ending if you are a bama fan. obviously it's still not getting to anywhere close to nfl levels, but you see my point.

and btw this is also why I feel like it's bs to say it's harder to win the NC now then before because you don't have that one shitty game elimination from the NC anymore. no doubt in my mind that pete carroll wins at least 2 more NCs under this system.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's better than it not existing. or at least is for a cal fan.