Who will be the next OC?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Tennessee invents ways to screw ourselves.

2. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

You know the only question the Knoxville media will ask will be "how does it feel to work together again?"

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's all that will be allowed. Probably a good call. Otherwise, 12-34 and Michigan synchro swimming is coming up.

4. Tenacious D

I cannot fathom why Jones would piss in his own pocket like this. It's lunacy, arrogance, or both.

5. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

I didn't realize people from Michigan were so fond of inbreeding. Guess that's why that arrogant POS is so happy in East TN.

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Pete Carroll agrees

7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Tenny, you know why. Butch believes in his offense 100%. He isn't changing ANYTHING! Down deep, that is really why we are all disappointed. We are not making ANY strategic changes and instead, banking on equal to superior/improved talent and execution.

In some things, this is a good approach, but we are in a conference with EXCEPTIONAL coaches and coordinators on teams where you could never have any kind of significant talent advantage. Butch has the short term advantage of a weak division, but that won't last forever. His recruiting is amazing but I just don't see our staff matching the talent of AUB, Bama, A&M, even FL when it comes to X's and O's. I just don't see how we can cross 9 wins with this group. I just dont.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All I know is that I will personally buy all of the crow and slow cook each one for all of us to eat if this works out. And I will enjoy every single bite of it.

Because I just don't see this working out. I just cannot fathom it.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The only positive I can see here is that Jones is running his own ship. If you hire somebody, they run their own ship until you fire them. If it works, he wins championships and gets extensions. If it doesn't, you fire him. But until then, you let him run things

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh, absolutely. When he was getting push back on his hire, I would do what he did (as long as I honestly thought it was the right hire) and tell them to piss off. It is his show, and I will say I am happy he is sticking to his guns, no matter what I think of the hire.

11. Tenacious D

It's hard to argue with any of this, TV. And as I read it, I realized that much of my frustration and disappointment in this hire is not because I dislike Butch - but the opposite, or more accurately, because I sincerely want him to do well here. I want to support him, and to believe that he's the guy to take us where we need to go.

But then, he does something like this - which is so inexcusably stupid, selfish, short-sighted and just ignorant - that it leaves me no choice but to see this as proof-positive that he may very well be exactly what many allege, some hope, and which I least prefer; that he is simply not "the guy", never will be, doesn't get it (at all), and that it's foolish to believe otherwise.

And given the choice, I'd prefer being hopeless, than foolish.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

my objection to it is less with Debord and the job he may or may not do and more with the philosophy behind it. From the outside looking in, I saw an opportunity to be progressive and bring in a fresh new mind who would introduce some new ideas into the mix, but this just reeks of conservatism to the point of regression

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not sure I'm of the same mindset. The deep end of the pool isn't for everyone on the first day.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Also the only reason not to announce this earlier was either fan PR or recruit PR... AKA I know I'm making a lame hire but I'll just do it anyways.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

"First and foremost, everything is about fit. It's not about hiring a resume"

(*&@ you, Jones. You are what your resume says you are.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

With the talent we have on defense, if you can get a top offensive mind/teacher to come in here and average 30+ points a game, we could be a juggernaut. Make a Bama type Kiffin hire or bring in Boise State guy or TCU guy and you can see it happening. The chance that that happens with DeBord just seems remote.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's embarassing and laughable. To the point that even a good sized chunk of people at TOOS are scratching their heads. If those nimrods see the fallacy in the hire and the absurdity in the fact that we have been trying to hide it, then it's pretty danged obvious.

20. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

Impressive lead in on GVX:
    "Michigan Olympic sports administrator Mike DeBord has informed his staff and coaches that he is leaving to become the offensive coordinator at Tennessee according to a Twitter report Thursday from Evan Woodbery of NOLA.com, the former Tennessee beat writer at the News Sentinel."