Why Country Music is Awful

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Dec 28, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Then again, even when I listen to the outlaw country station on xm, it's just as painful for me because most of those guys are trying so hard to not be mainstream that they've formed their own little genre in which a lot sounds the same. Granted, you will have a better chance of getting some good variety and fantastic stuff on there too.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this means.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Makes his own. Front guy in a band here in Knoxville, and they are pretty good. (I get potential biased opinion, but I promise they are legit.).

4. kidbourbon

Yeah, I like Eric Church.

For two years I lived with my best buddy from law school who is a jewish guy with a trust fund who happens to listen to nothing but country music. This was a place that he had been living in all during law school, and that I didn't move into until a year after. And because it always seemed like it was his place and I was just living there (and this was mostly true, as all furniture and televisions were his) and also just because he was just a generally good dude, I never voiced any objections to the country playlists he put on at any and all social gatherings. But man oh man, I hated it. I hated all of it....except Eric Church. And I told him that. "yo man, you should put some more of that Eric Church on your playlist, he's pretty good."

5. Those bands like Fedoras. And suspenders.

6. kidbourbon

I'd just encourage him to keep doing his thing. Keep writing music and playing shows. If people like what they hear, word will spread. Worked for John Mayer.

7. kidbourbon

Noted.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Nashville country music scene is ran by a bunch of lazy dumb asses that won't dare take a chance on something outside the formula of tailgates and drinking.

It's why an artist like Ashley Monroe (who writes fantastic songs and has great lyrical ability) has a single out titled "weed instead of roses" or an artist like Kacey Musgraves' only has 2 radio singles off of a great album.

Seriously, YouTube "Canary" or "Has anybody ever told you" or "Biege" or "Gone" by Ashley Monroe and then ask why no one, outside of East Nashville hipsters, hasvheard it. Or YouTube Kacey Musgraves live, listen to any of it and then wonder how Cassadee Pope or any other generic sounding mildly attractive brunette gets any attention over her.

Or look up Chris Stapleton, especially when he was fronting the Steeldrivers. That's awesome music but no one will hear it

A lot of it, in my opinion, has to do with the dumbass fans believing a midget like Kenny Chesney is worth a shit or a guy like Tim McGraw is awesome. People will believe any artist is great if they're told enough times they are.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

My wife and I have been discussing doing our own modern country song. Our plan is to write a bunch of country sounding terms on scraps of paper. Things like,

Tractors
    Hats
    Poke salad
    Cane poles
    Barns
    Hay
    Beer
    Trucks

You get the picture. We plan to put these in a bag, draw out a few, and just connect the terms with random slop that rhymes. For music, we are going to have the kids pick a key, and let three cords and a lot of distortion do their thing. I've not figured out percussion yet, but we'll get there.

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Kacey's actually had 3 singles, but it's understandable that you didn't know about the 3rd one, because it isn't getting much airplay, unfortunately.

It sucks that Chris Stapleton's single failed. I'd buy his album immediately, if it ever gets released. Best male voice to land a Nashville major-label record deal in years.

11. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Those wanting more old-school country should give a new artist named Sturgill Simpson a listen. He released an album earlier this year and has played the Opry a couple of times.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You gotta use a vague proper noun in relation to a gettin laid story to. Something like, " weez headin down ole Cherry Creek Rd the night I first got in her fold. "

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

[video=youtube;JXAgv665J14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JXAgv665J14[/video]

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I like Call Me Maybe just because my daughter, who used to be painfully shy despite dancing in front of thousands with her team, finally came out of her shell and started doing a choreographed solo with that song. Holds very special meaning to me now.

15. JayVols

I like Blurred Lines, again, because of my daughter. She does a small team routine (song HEAVILY edited) with 4 other kids. The "fab five" have been dancing together since they were 4- they're now 10 & 11. They won an Overall National Championship back in September with the routine. An Overall Small Team Championship isn't just their age group. They won it over ALL age groups. That's pretty special; therefore, the song holds special meaning to me as well. I hated it when I first heard it though. Dynomite is another pop hit I like because it was my overall favorite dance the Pee Wee team has done.

16. JayVols

Shit list alert cancelled. :)

17. JayVols

Who the **** is Jack White?!?!?!?!?

18. JayVols

I liked his Hootie stuff.

19. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

As did I a long time ago, but why he's relevant in country I have no idea. Everytime I hear one of his songs played, I think I'm 14 all over again, because they all sound the same.

20. JayVols

My brother and I discussed a song that would be modern country gold while he was in over the holiday: Emergency Room Christmas.

Not the typical subject content, but I think it has potential.