Wireless Routers...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Aug 26, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Anyone have suggestions as to a good one? What to look for, etc. Would prefer not to break the bank for one, but also don't want to buy something that can't handle the workload. We basically have a laptop, 3 smartphones and will stream netflix on a PS3 and ipad.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've had good fortune with cysco routers. And also, I think you get what you pay for. Expect to spend 80 to 140 bucks if you want it to last, imo. I learned that after going through cheaper ones on an annual basis.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I used to love Linksys, but the last two I have had were terrible. Constantly losing signals. Constantly having to reboot it. I bought a netgear dual band one 6 months ago and I literally haven't had a disconnect once. it's spectacular. i can even get my wifi all the way in my detached garage.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

5. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

How much do you want to spend?

AC is where its at now, although Wireless N is good for most people. That said I got a Belkin Wireless AC that was around 90 bucks and works extremely well

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The provider has them for sale at $80 and would do what we need. Just was looking for a bargain to be honest.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Be careful about that. Like I said, I ended up spending more over time trying to do that.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Kinda what I was thinking anyway. But looking at these suggestions, it may be best to just bite that proverbial bullet once rather than the play router lottery.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is the one I got, its a little cheaper now, very good experience so far, and its about as cheap as AC gets.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-ac750-dual-band-wireless-ac-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/7478383.p?id=1218847153051&skuId=7478383

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I use Netgear and have never had any issues. I have a smart TV, two phones, android tablet, two PCs, laptop, Wii and Xbox going through it with no issues. The big bottleneck is at the street, not my router.

13. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Unless you live in Chattanooga.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I went ahead and spent 170 on a NETGEAR one.

I haven't had any issues in 3 years with it and it works extremely well

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

If you really want to save, go through craigslist. Read the product reviews on the item, ensure it works, and pay half the price.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Very good router.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh yeah, we have about as much as two people can possibly run on a network at one time (usually one tablet, two streaming devices and a laptop going at once) with multiple other devices in use, and I work from home two days a week with the wireless being enough to handle VOIP and my work network while other things are in use with no noticeable difference between home and work. So there is that.

I honestly think that every suggestion here is probably a good one. Including "stay the hell away from Linksys"

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I got shitty DSL. Thinking of going back to Comcast, as kids watching Netflix pretty much eats up our bandwidth.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Buy this one. I had one for like 3-4 years with 0 problems. Great router.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router-WNR3500L/dp/B002RYYZZS