Wonder or Worry About Worley?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by KenTenn, Jun 28, 2014.

1. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

The below is an article that takes a look at Worley and what they 2014 season may be for him. I thought it was a fair assessment.
    http://www.chatsports.com/tennessee...jections-for-Justin-Worley-in-2014-1-10024810

I do believe if the OL provides halfway decent protection, that bevy of WRs and TEs we have is going to make Worley look somewhat wonderful. He better because I get the feeling that JD is ready and raring to go.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Nothing to wonder about. We are going to struggle until we get a better quarterback (unless Dobbs is way better than I think he is).

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There's nothing wonderful about Worley's weak arm, imo.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

"Serviceable" is the best I can picture, which is a nice way to say "not mind blowingly terrible"

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

His weak arm could actually be serviceable if he had better timing and accuracy but lacking the latter it just further exposes the issues of his weak arm.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Dobbs is a much better QB, IMO. He has really worked on his footwork and mechanics this off season and I am honestly really starting to like him as a starting QB.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

IMO, the difference between horrible and serviceable will boil down to how much protection Worley gets. One thing I do wonder about is how good is he with checkdowns at the LOS.

8. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Worley is a poor man's Jeff Francis.

9. KenTenn

I think he will be decent enough to get us some wins. Especially that he now has WRs who know how to run their routes and actually catch the ball. The thing is, despite his improvement, the play of the OL just might force Butch to bring in Joshua due to his better mobility. A QB can't make plays if he's a statue being knocked on his back play after play. So my take is this. if the Ol is at least adequate, Worley is our QB. if the OL isn't even marginally decent, Joshua is our QB. I also contend that it Joshua goes in, it's unlikely he gives up the job or has it taken from him. But if he continues to be an interception machine despite having better WRs, expect Peterman to get another shot and make it mean something.

[So it is written, so it shall be.]

10. JayVols

There's merit to this.

11. JayVols

Worley's gonna have to read quickly & not hold the ball forever to have a prayer.

12. JayVols

Ouch.

13. JayVols

If Peterman ever gets a shot to take another meaningful snap, someone just shoot me. Please.

14. KenTenn

I volunteer my services. I always wanted to be an assassin for those desiring authansia.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It won't matter if you have Jerry Rice at 1, Moss at 2 and Cris Carter in the slot, playing against air, if you can't get it to them on an out, or 25+ yards from the LOS without heaving it, and even on the random plays where you do actually get it off somewhere nearly on time, 40-50% of the time it's still far less likely to be thrown within 15 yards of the intended target.

Worley may be the worst QB in the history of Tennessee - and I'm not saying that as a dig or an insult at the guy, but as a pure statement of fact. I still don't know what he does well, exactly. At all.

Reading defenses / checking out? No.
    Ability to stand in the pocket and take the shot that making a hard throw often requires? No.
    Accuracy? No.
    Arm strength? No.
    Mobility? No.
    Agility? No.
    Speed? No.
    Crafty, gamer-type? No.
    Make someone miss? No.
    Keep a play alive? Yes, but just long enough to get sacked or throw a shitty ball.
    Commanding presence / leadership? No.
    Takes what the defense gives him / avoids mistakes? No.
    Can find an open receiver, more often than not? No.

That Worley is not the best player on this team is one thing. He may not even be the second - or third? - best QB in East Tennessee, if you count those others in the local high school ranks.

He's terrible - and if he starts again, it'll be the same thing as last year, where we basically throw away a season so as to better position ourselves, for later (ie recruiting, red shirts, etc.).

16. KenTenn

Clipped your post for brevity's sake. Worst in UT history? OK, if you say so, I thought that was reserved for Matt Simms, but. . . .
    In any case, you don't like Worley--OK. i think he's been de-Dooleyed now and has receivers that make a difference. You disagree.
    Cool.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think he's worse than Bad Crompton and Stephens in 2008. I don't think he's worse than Matt Simms.

None of this is praise though.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Crompton and Simms made NFL rosters. Worley would go undrafted - in the CFL.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't care about that. All I care about is what they did on the field on Tennessee uniforms.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

youth in asia*