Wonder or Worry About Worley?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by KenTenn, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For all of Matt Simms (many) shortcomings - he could hit a receiver on a hard 15-20 yard post on 80% of his throws. Worley couldn't hit 40% of those.

I don't dislike Worley at all, as a person / player. He seems to work hard, his teammates respect him, you never hear about him away from the complex, and I have no doubt that he wants to be the absolute best QB that he can be. He's just a shitty QB.

You can blame Dooley for a great many things, but Worley would be largely exactly what he is, even if Gruden worked with him 12 hours a day, everyday. The addition of WR's and Hurd will undoubtedly help him, and everything else, but it's still going to be him under center. And that's the rub.

2. Tenacious D

Lusitania.

3. Tenacious D

Merely pointing out that for as bad as Crompton and Simms were, they still had something that got them on an NFL roster. Worley does not.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Even Stephens made a roster for a short period of time didn't he?

5. BigOrangeBeech

I agree with this but I don't think he's just straight up terrible, either. The weak arm argument is valid and I do think Dobbs is a better option, I just hope the coaches realize it and eventually give him a legit shot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the Titans.

7. BigOrangeBeech

I thought it was Dallas

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He was on the cowboys reason roster. I nearly fell over dead when al michaels said his name.

9. BigOrangeBeech

Ole Pick Nick.

Nothing beats Crapton tho.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't care about that. I only care about what they did on the field in a Tennessee uniform. They had better physical tools. But they were worse on the field at Tennessee, with the exception of Crompton's development in 2009.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. BigOrangeBeech

Truth.

Was extremely mad at the backward turd toss he chunked against UF.

But then when I heard his hand was broke....I was even more mad. It was enough for him to never see the field again.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Worley is better than Peterman. So at bare minimum he isn't the worst ever.

14. Tenacious D

But what if you believe (rightfully) that while Dobbs is better than Worley, that he is not as good as a QB that you're recruiting in the '15 class? Do you start Dobbs, and risk the possibility that doing so could scare off a better recruit - because he'd then not only be competing for playing time with a starting QB, but a (then rising) junior who had two seasons of eligibility remaining, the day you walked on campus?

So, to the QB being recruited - you can redshirt Dobbs' junior year ('15), but what about his senior season? You might think you're better than him, and you may be....but are you going to be so clearly better, that they are willing to bench a two-year starter, and for his final senior season? Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? No. So, as the incoming QB, are you still going to come in, knowing that you aren't going to play for two seasons, and which you'll be burning a year of eligibility (your redshirt freshman year, Dobbs senior season) while doing so? We can argue that you want a QB who would welcome competition and that described challenge, and while that'd be great, it's also naive, at very best. Most elite QB's make their first cuts based on immediate playing time, and expect to be handed the starting job from Day 1, or at least be given an honest chance to compete for it. Absent promising that, its a very tough recruiting row to hoe.

Given the great lengths that Jones went to preserve both Dobbs and Ferguson's redshirts last season, and only did so when injury left him literally with no other choice, its hard to believe that he would deviate from that outlook, even with a new (frosh) incoming QB.

And we have to get a QB in this class. And a good one. Absolute must.

Even if that means that Worley is your starter - regardless if Dobbs is better, and even if that means that we'll have less of a chance to win games this coming season, as a result.

And that's the only reason why I think that Worley is our starter this season. But that's a blind-assed guess, and I could easily be wrong.

15. BigOrangeBeech

The "I want to win now" is coming out in me when I say start Dobbs.

The question is "does Dobbs make us so much better that we win an extra game or two because butch decided to start him instead of Worley? "

The answer is probably not, mainly due to all the youth and inexperience. But everything you said makes sense and you are likely right on how it plays out with Worley being starter. Regardless, Butch has to make a bowl game this year. Does Dobbs make enough difference to get us there? Is Worley good enough to get us there?

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I think Worley would've been good enough to get us there last year.

17. BigOrangeBeech

Had he played the entire season I would agree.

This year will be different. Dobbs now has game experience and has also noticeably improved this offseason according to reports.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I hope it's Dobbs too.

Just think some of the talk about Worley is over the top. Of course I agree we shouldn't be in a spot where he's the best we've got, like last year.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If any one that knows anything about football can look at Worley's mechanics and say they are better than Dobbs right now I would have to strongly disagree. Dobbs is putting in the work it takes to be a starting QB and it's starting to show.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Players usually make their largest gain from year 1 to year 2.

Dobbs has definitely put in a lot of work. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, the offense can be serviceable and with the skill players coming in, explosive at times.