Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You are [uck fay]ing idiot sometimes.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what do you do? Because I don't have a clue. Im not trying to be sarcastic. I can't begin to fathom what causes someone to want to do this. The easy answer is guns, but I don't think that's the right, or at least complete, answer.

VolDad likes this.
  3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If not a gun it could be a knife or a baseball bat. It sucks. I'm not sure what to do either but something needs to happen. For now my heart just breaks for those families. Those poor kids should be at home playing right now.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

wondering how many of these killers have supportive parents and solid family structure. How many are not involved in anything socially whether clubs, sports, or whatever. How many have been on antipsychotic meds.
    Politics jumps straight to guns, but that’s easy.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Also just read the shooter had a wreck, exited his car in body armor, had interaction with police, yet they didn’t stop him. Don’t know the accuracy of this as there has already been bad info

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'll jump straight to universal healthcare, including mental health. And open back up public mental hospitals.

I think some gun control is in order, too, but our second amendment makes that difficult.

So let's tackle the healthcare angle. Now.

emainvol likes this.
  7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

People have messed up family structures in plenty of places that aren’t here. Are guns the only variable at play? No, but they sure are a big one

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times. The people that say “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” aren’t wrong. They just seem to completely forget that a hammer doesn’t drive a nail either, but it sure makes the job a lot easier and more efficient. Particularly when you want to drive a whole lot of nails

droski and The Dooz like this.
  8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Wish I could say I thought we would, but considering the progress we’ve made the last several dozen times this has happened, I think it’s safe to say we won’t

gcbvol and tvolsfan like this.
  9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The reality is this will happen again and again. It’s sad this time, just like it was sad the last time and will be the next time. But we shouldn’t tell ourselves this kind of thing can’t be prevented, even if the solution is politically unrealistic.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

America's version of human sacrifice. We accept it because there are parts of society we value more. Until that changes we will keep shedding tears, getting angry and then sitting back waiting for the next one, which will yet again be "incomprehensible."

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why? People who kill themselves are people.

It is more misleading to ignore a large group of people killed by guns operated by themselves.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here we are. Again.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't even mention anything about guns. If we want to see it through the lens of crazy, why not universal mental health?

NorrisAlan and gcbvol like this.
  14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you kill yourself because you're sad, I view that differently than being murdered by someone else. In one case you made the decision to die. In the other that decision was made for you. Regardless I'm all for making it harder to kill other people.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see a distinction in terms of mentally unwell people killing people.

SetVol13 and emainvol like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is some of the most horrific stuff I have ever read. Dozens of families gathering at a fire hall to hear where their kids are. A family here and there being given word on which hospital. Hours go by and then families still waiting begin to be asked for DNA samples to help identify which unrecognizable carnage is their child's remains. The screams of agony audible even outside the building as the realization of what it means if they are still waiting for word.

We never even posted about the Buffalo shooting because there's not much to even say anymore usually.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's horrifying. I can't imagine what it's like to be any parent right now.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it’s primarily a mental illness problem. I don’t like guns and don’t have them in the house but the only “solution” is to ban guns completely and can this country even do that?. We’ve seen basic firearms do plenty of damage. The assault rifle argument is dead imo

19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

A high capacity magazine ban wouldn’t be terrible. I’m not sure you could ever hope to get everything out there off the street but still worth a shot imo. And I’m saying that as someone who’d have turn em in myself.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Still thinking about this framing.