Yet another religion thread for IP to take over :)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Sep 4, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Put your name on it, IP!

Seriously, so I am browsing facebook and a cousin posted this,

Am I really missing something?

How is God in or not in Rock Springs Elementary by having or not having a book in the library?

OldVol ,you are level headed, what am I missing?

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

As a sort of second tier member in the hierarchy of religious opposition for the board, I would set this thing off by saying a lot of schools do have this stuff because they willfully snub their nose at the prospect of separation of church and state and feel that their community is religiously homogeneous enough that no on will raise a fuss. Of course, if someone does, that person will be labeled a troublemaker. Then, they'll get the community riled up that Christianity is under attack, probably under the orders of Obama, and sharia law is around the corner.

That last one might be a bit of an exaggeration.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not allowing preachers to give sermons in assemblies and/or not letting staff lead prayer over the intercom = God not in the school.

4. OrangeEmpire

From a purely religious aspect, specifically christianity, the body is the temple. Your life example is far greater than a book.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

And of course, the fear of Sharia law is terribly ironic.

6. OrangeEmpire

Also from facebook,

To which ______ responded

The nuclear option

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Speaking of level headed

[video=youtube;CdU3ooAZSH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdU3ooAZSH8[/video]

8. OrangeEmpire

This is an absolute soap box topic for me, what role does a government school have in spreading the gospel?

Is their life example so bad they need school to do it for them?

9. OrangeEmpire

The commentary is great

10. JayVols

I'm with you. If you're too sorry to see to your child's religious education, don't expect me to do it. I'm a Christian. I feel I reflect that in the way I treat my students. I don't have the training nor the time to be a preacher to them.

11. JayVols

God is a card carrying Republican.

12. OrangeEmpire

No joke, I want to respond but I know it will be like talking to a brick wall.

The crazy thing is, his papaw, my uncle, was a preacher in Kingsport for the better part of 40 years. He was also considered a liberal by the family, LORD HELP US, but he was a shining example of what a christian should be.

Not really sure where this attitude comes from

13. OrangeEmpire

I have also never really understood this.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

To be fair, He was standing in front of me in line during the R primary this last time

15. OrangeEmpire

[​IMG]

16. JayVols

We have Christian based organizations in school: Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Prayer Around the Flag Pole. These are student led, but requires a faculty sponsor to oversee them. If it were possible to "take God out of schools", I'm sure these wouldn't be allowed. What I find ingenious is the way the schools have developed mind and thought control to prevent students from privately praying at any time particularly before tests. Now if we could just figure out a way to expand these powers to help them forget their hunger, daddy beating mommy the night before, and during state mandated tests, we'd be golden. If you are using your religion for show, you're doing it wrong.

Rock Springs Elementary referred to in the Facebook post wouldn't be the one in Sullivan County, TN would it?

17. JayVols

Fixed.

18. OrangeEmpire

That would be it.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Ha

20. JayVols

Not that I've ever done anything like that......