You can’t be pro-life and pro-gun.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, May 2, 2016.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Where are they, Yoda? Show me these people who want to shoot the escaping thief? That's an awfully specific example, and, as far as I know, against the teachings of every religion and against the law in every state in America. Sounds like a straw man bit of nonsense to me, but who am I to judge? That's your job, oh wise one.

You misconstrue a position and then argue against it because that's what you do. Try another trick or show me that great segment of society that thinks "all life is sacred" but are shooting fleeing people.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Of course, it's also possible to find people who advocate forced sterilization but consider themselves pro choice.

Like you.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That's because 99% of people define pro-life as anti-abortion. Those people are totally cool with the hangings of rapists and murderers on the courthouse lawn.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The title is "you can't be...". Clearly you can be.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is a segment of the population that thinks this is perfectly acceptable.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And color me a tad confused why the term pro-life is acceptable when being used to prove someone is a hypocrite, but simultaneously a deceptive label that brands the pro-choice folks as anti-life.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's not the stance. It isn't that all life is sacred. It's that indefensible life warrants defending. I'm ambivalent on the issue, but I'd still err on the side of the indefensible baby over the mother who made bad decisions.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Most hardcore environmentalists - in public.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Purpose?

Are you anymore dead with one or the other.

10. Beechervol

Pro "better" choice on the front end.

11. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Maybe they mean pro-innocent-life. Otherwise it's retribution or revenge or justice or something in which case it's all on the table

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Perhaps it's just a popular label to describe one's stance on abortion and not intended to literally define one's morality as to the sanctity of all living beings.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And they would be wrong and I am pretty sure the law would say they were wrong.

I don't understand semantic arguments. The term pro-life is clearly meant pro life of a fetus.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Close, very close.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If I can have an opinion, I say if you want to have an abortion, stick a gun in your vag and pull the trigger.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

So you agree you can be pro-life and pro-gun.

I would do everything within my power to avoid shooting anyone, but would not hesitate to do so if I felt it warranted. My neighbor had a thief break in, and I ran the guy down in the street, I had a handgun which I pulled and told him to stop. When he approached me, I told him I would shoot his ass if he took one more step, I was absolutely prepared to do so. He must have believed me, since he did not come closer. I would have tried to hit him in a non-fatal place, but in that situation, it is easier said than done.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree it is possible, while simultaneously understanding the general point of view expressed in the OP.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will say I no longer consider it possible for me to reconcile being pro-fetus life and pro-death penalty.

19. Beechervol

It aint me. Its you!

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How so? A woman can choose how to handle her body or not.