All Things Kenlucky / Dooley Sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 26, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I actually think we are worse now than when we started the 2010 season.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe Chaney is a good guy. Hell, I've even talked football with him in his office, but I still don't know what his philosophy is on offense. I think that having Bray, Hunter and Rogers messed him up. He started going with the mindset of just throwing it down field and relying on big plays. This worked with Hunter and Rogers on the field but without Hunter. He never adjusted.

This team had more talent than the stats show. The great thing about offense is that you can scheme around your talent. We failed to do that all year. The O-line coach will be fired, but the main issues with the running game is schemes based though.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

So, you give Dooley a pass because he's only had two years but are ready to fire assistants because they aren't showing improvement in two years?

You call yesterday a bad loss. I see it as exemplary of the unmitigated cluster[uck fay] our program has become. We just finished at the bottom of the worst east ever. We just lost 7 conference games for the first time ever in the worst east ever. We finished below Vanderbilt and below Kentucky, two teams that we have a significant talent advantage over.

Dooley should have never been hired. Now that he is here, he should be fired immediately for no other reason than Tennessee wants to be good at football. He was a bargain basement hire made in a crisis, and now we should know better.

It wasn't the worst Kentucky team. It was, however, a very bad Kentucky team playing a wide receiver at QB.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Things changed. We lose to even Cincy and beat Kentucky, it might be different.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Perhaps, but they sure did suck. Yet, they beat us.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was long into the game before it appeared anyone was even trying to win on Tennessee's side.

7. JayVols

That's a more damning indictment that Dools is in over his head that bad play calling, bad clock management, or a poor gameplan.

If Dooley can't keep players motivated enough to not tank a game for lack of interest, it's best to can him now and start anew. There's very little hope he recovers from that attitude in 5 years much less 1.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. There has to be more passion, more hunger, and more excitement. More resolve. Those things are contagious. Dooley appears sterile.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tauren Poole as much as said no one gave a shit. Tough to hear given that game was to get bowl eligible. Hell, some of those guys might even be a little glad the season is over a month sooner as a result of that performance.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is infuriating.

11. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

just to make my stance clear, i'm neither pro nor con dooley at this point. The only growth that can be said is that the D looked better against teams that were not elite. they weren't stellar in the second halves against better teams(bama, lsu, ark, etc.) however they were good enough to win if the offense was any way shape or form decent against (SC & GA). SC played like shit, but starting a true frsh qb you could tell he was nervous, he over threw several passes. with that said, DR dropped a td that was perfectly thrown. other passes were dropped. GA was just bad overall, again there were a lot of dropped balls in that game. if you don't believe me go look again. DR can be a great player, he makes the hard plays look easy, and drops the easy passes. ZR couldn't catch a STD if he were locked up with a bunch of crack whores.

go back and think over the course of the year how many catchable balls were dropped especially in key downs. look at how many of them were easy balls to catch and were dropped. now i'm not saying Chaney is the answer, but you can't teach a guy to catch. you can try, but either the guy has it or doesn't. that being said ZR is what the #2 or 3 wr UT had this year. now was that because the frsh wr's didn't have a grasp or something else. if you have ZR as a #2 or 3, then you are hurting.

the oline coach made the oline worse this year than last. it doesn't help that your starting rb can't run worth a crap. he just runs into the back of the lineman. doesn't make good cuts, never could read what holes were open. there's a reason Kiffin didn't play him. however if that's the best option you have, you gotta go with it. the walk on made poole look dumb against mtsu. he found the holes and got 3-4 yards on just about every carry. however he is small, and would probably get beasted against better teams. fact is we don't have a solid rb. neal has a case of the fumbles, that's why he isn't running the ball.

like how dooley goes about it or not, the guy has told the truth. he said it would take a while before UT got back. he said they weren't that great, and they're not. he said that Bray wasn't the same the week before leading up to Vandy and that's obvious the last two games. i've never seen him throw so many balls short like he did. it's clear to see that he either can't grip the ball like he did before he broke his thumb or he can't fling it without some pain.

Chaney did screw the florida game plan up after hunter went out. it took them most of the rest of the first half to realize he could throw on them. I've admitted that the UK game was a bad loss for dooley. the only reason i haven't formed my opinion of him was because i honestly don't think it matters who was coaching UT the past two years, the results would be the same. when your first year your roster is 17 guys short of the max, then you have issues. you lose whatever seniors you have and you have to get enough guys to just fill a roster. taking all those guys, your not going to get studs to fill the holes. he did fill some needs, however for the two deep he still has a ways to go. i just think regardless it's going to take 4 recruiting classes to win against the good teams. when you are a school who for two years is in the top 5 youngest teams, that's not good. especially against schools that are loaded with jr/sr. think about this, most schools who have frsh playin and contributing have a handful at most. almost half of UT's two deep are frsh. there's a huge learning curve from hs to college game. now, with all that being said, i'll say this again like i did when dooley took the job. for me to judge i'll wait til year 3 of his tenure.

12. cotton

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but I've read that alot. The 1994 Wildcats, for instance, beat Louisville to open the season, then lost 10 straight, including one to Louisiana Monroe. Tennessee beat them 52-0 in their second biggest loss of the season.

However, this bunch still sucked.

13. cotton

We lost those games by an average of 35 points. We were outscored 80-0 in the second halves. I think maybe you aren't reading enough into those performances in which we "weren't stellar."

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Given the UNA reference in this thread -

If I offered you Terry Bowden or [ddiapos] to coach this team in 2012, who are you picking.

And if you even took a second to contemplate this, then you just answered yourself the future of the program with Dooley.

15. cotton

That's no choice at all. Bowden has won multiple meaningful games at different levels. Dooley has an orange dog.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And I don't know if anyone here would qualify Terry as anything above an average coach at best.

17. cotton

I certainly wasn't promoting him for the office.

18. JayVols

I listened to an extremely inebriated Pat Dye publicly trash Terry Bowden the spring that Tommy Tubberville took over. One line that sticks in my mind is "I think that we will get back to playing some GD football now and not look like a bunch of [ussies pay] out there." It was eye opening and entertaining.

Despite that, I would still almost say give me Terry, at this point.

19. cotton

Disgusting fact of the day, stolen then verified from whoever is on 104.5:

Over the past 5 years, UT is 33-31.

Over the past 5 years, UK is 33-31.

If you eliminate the 10 win season in '07, UT is 23-27 and UK 25-26 over the past 4.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bordeline hilarious we lost this year when you consider that UK had some good teams (relative to the usual in Lexington) during some real down years for UT 2002, 2008, 2009, and 2010. There were actually some decent players on some of those teams. Cobb, Lyons, Tamme, Lorenzon, Burton, Little, Woodson, or Abney. Any of those guys would easily have been the best player on the 2011 team.