All Things Kenlucky / Dooley Sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It kills me that Dooley was STILL trashing this team after the game today and not once took ownership of poor coaching. I'm not surprised but it still pisses me off to hear it. He was basically saying it could be a good thing to lose because they were a bad football team and they need to be knocked down a little bit. Anyone else hear this shit?

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Coaching 101: when you win, it's the players. When you lose, you take the blame. Always. No exceptions.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is pretty much where I am.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

So, Dooley realizes his constant poormouthing undermines his team but just can't help himself? That's really encouraging going forward.

5. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

You bring the lighter and I'll bring the mattress.

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

It is no wonder that they laid down today. I guess they were tired of him running his mouth too. It had to happen sooner or later.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I heard every sickening word of it. Todd Kelly was calling him out for it in a way afterward. Dooley is as narcissistic as they come apparently. I can see why the team laid down today. I am more pissed now than ever.

8. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

Is there a time frame on when a new hire wouldn't have a negative impact on recruiting? Other coaches will be busy til after the first of the year, right?

We're in better shape than we were when he took over at least.

Dammit I hate this. I absolutely hate it.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

So...someone is comparing Dooley to coach K on toos. WTF, Dooley could have been Jerry Sandusky and people over there would still defend him.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What I saw today wasn't "youth" that cost us the game. It was poor preparation, a general feeling of quit, and just a poor effort all around. That has nothing to do with age. It has to do with the leadership.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The extent of my coaching exploits has been 8-12 year olds in football and basketball. However, something I figured out early on was that no matter what, they knew I was on their side even if I knew they were wrong. When I knew I had less talent, I may acknowledge it in private, but I would never let them believe it.

That said, I've got to imagine the psychology isn't that much different. If players hear their coach bad mouth them on a weekly or more frequent basis, they quit caring, don't want to play for him, and begin to establish a losers mentality.

Am I wrong?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Depends on the name of the hiring coach.

13. JayVols

Nah, I was leaning more towards the 'Precious' can do no wrong similarity. I'm convinced DD believes that as much as his momma does now.

I agree that it is EXTREMELY disconcerting going forward.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Probably.

That and I just don't know how the business side works. Does that much turnover really put that bad of a stigma on the job. I just don't know. I'd have to think in my line of work something comparable would make me wary.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Reaming ass is for practices. Not in the media. Even if you done everything right humanly possible, you get a microphone in your face, it's your fault. Players will respect the hell out of that. No one wants to be thrown in front of a bus, no one.

Dooley makes damn good money. Stand up and take it like a man. If you think they suck ass, fine. If you say it once or twice in practice, fine. Other than that, shut the hell up with the narcissistic junk and be a man. It's not cute.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not to belabor talk about the previous staff, but look at what our players said when those guys were here and what the USC players say now. You constantly hear guys saying "Coach Kiffin has our back." When's the last time you heard that about Dooley?

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

A new coaching staff is the only thing that could get me excited about 2012 Tennessee Vols football.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's bullshit on Dooley's part.

19. JayVols

You are 100% correct. Anytime I was interviewed after a loss, I accepted responsibility whether it was all on me or not. After a win, I was just fortunate to be around a great bunch of kids. I am no Vince Lombardi, but my players knew that I had their backs. I never once had a team completely lay down on me.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

For all that can be said about Kiffin and staff, players knew that there were guys on that staff that would run through a brick wall for them. Players will play their ass off for coaches like that.