Butchisms

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You can have all of the cliche "brick by brick" stuff you like, as I think that it means very, very little.

However, I'll take comments like this, which Butch made at practice, all day, every day:

Link: http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/aug/10/butch-jones-praises-rajiion-neals-running-vols-nig/

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

“You have to run the ball to win in the SEC,”

I LOVED this one!

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Now that's not a canned middle school cliche. In fact, that's a great example of genuine southern football jibberish. Reverand!

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Got get em Butcher!

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

#bUTch-chugging

8. Tenacious D

That's where the rubber meets the road with me - I'm ok with Butch throwing the dullards amongst our fan base a bone by perpetuating the naive belief that we are all just one big family, so long as they accept that we are also perfectly willing to put some kids up for adoption, if needed, for the betterment of said "family".

The first part makes for a good t-shirt.

The second is necesaary to making big rings.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he holds his staff accountable too, he'll be alright here. I hope he's on the phone to Manny Diaz and Tyrone Nix this off season.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I suspect the Butchisms are as much a symptom of his personality as it is a football, or motivational, strategy.

George Allen did a lot of similar things to Butch in this respect when he took over the Rams. They weren't very good and he did all these types of gimmicky things. Of course, Allen was left with the greatest D-line in NFL history too, so it ain't apples to apples but still. Butch isn't the first to go corny and get results.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Butch is just a corny guy. He's not forcing it. It's who he is and it apparently works.

12. Tenacious D

This is true.

I didn't believe it, at first. But its true.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I don't get why people care so much about it.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I tried to tell you

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Can't wait to find out

16. Tenacious D

You mean his schtick coachisms?

I think that I'm a little gun shy of them for three reasons:

1. They are of complete unimportance in winning games. Or, as I call it "All that matters."
    2. They can sometimes be confused with actual coaching ability.
    3. If the recent past has shown us anything, its that this fan base is particularly susceptible to going "All In" for coaches who "Get it" have a famous last name, or wear orange pants....and who often confuse this tripe as anything of significance when evaluating a coach, and the actual results which they produce. I'm convinced that Dooley's orange pants won him a completely undeserved third season.

17. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

motivation in any form or fashion is something that coaches strive to do on a daily basis. Call it corny, unnecessary, or whatever label, but every coach at every level that is worth a damn, and many who are not, try to find ways to motivate themselves, coaches, players and team daily.
    The motivation that matters most, imo, is the motivation from your own teammates on the field. When they play for each other and hold each other to a high standard, we will win again.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you worry that it's covering up a lack of coaching ability or at best he's wasting his time on a bunch of crap that doesn't really make a difference (as you mentioned).

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are plenty of legit ways to motivate people without using schtick. usually that type of motivation only works short term. at some point the players start tuning it out. in particular if you aren't winning.

20. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

So you think a coach like Butch spends his time on a bunch of crap that makes no difference?
    Why would he do that?