Butchisms

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Aug 12, 2013.

1. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I don't think players would keep tweeting it out if they thought it was lame. I remember Pete Carroll throwing a dummy off the roof and doing all sorts of quirky stuff at USC to keep them motivated, loose and together.
    Coaches will do anything. Most don't publicize it.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No I use them for science experiments.

3. limpleg

of course, but he is early in his career and you are comparing his motivation techniques to those that have won a lot of games, conference and national championships. Of course Saban doesn't have to sell anything. Butch does. Once you get to that level of Saban, etc, it's about motivating the coaches to keep up the work and not fade, as we did after '98.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i assure you pete carroll didn't have any props.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

show me the props saban, or any of the coaches i just listed, used early in their careers.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

[​IMG]

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Bama does a thing very similar to the fist up defense with their bench/sideline. It's super corny.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Ben Franklin, Alabama's recruiter of the year.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is a difference between the "4th quarter is ours" or whatever other team unity thing you do occasionally and having half a dozen of these things. i don't really give a crap if he wants to do it, just don't tell me it's going to do anything.

10. limpleg

Huh? He was always doing something off the wall while at USC and the dummy in the USC #25 uniform being thrown off the roof seems like a prop to me. And it seems to me like he is still full of mantra's and cliché's as well, though coaching men instead of college kids. He did the same things while in college.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-not-simply-wednesday-in-pete-carrolls-world/

11. limpleg

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban just wears his championship rings on his fingers and toes.

13. limpleg

14. limpleg

of course he does now, but when he got there, he tried several different tactics. Personally, I don't know what the big deal about motivation or cliché's is. I've been around sports for 36 years and it's never changed.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I don't either.

16. fl0at_

Saban doesn't strike me as the type of guy that ever really did corny things. Not because they don't work, but because he is too uptight.

Everyone else does, to a degree.

But it is really the degrees that matter. I don't mind the corny, so long as it is limited. Kind of how we have limited examples for lots of big name coaches, and tons of examples for someone like Dooley.

A happy in between is fine by me, and Jones seems to be more on the less side, for now.

If he has tens of examples a year by year three, I'll be disappointed. But first year? Gets a pass from me.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The brick by brick thing is a recruiting catchphrase. Last I checked he's doing okay there.

So why does it matter?

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Didn't Mike Price, I think, use a pick ax at UTEP? So there's that.

19. fl0at_

People are worried that it reflects an attitude toward gimmicks. And gimmicks are typically short lived theatrical crutches used to hide or mask a weak spot.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Perfect. Kids of all ages can sniff out a fake.