Episode 7, with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think he's Plagueis. Jmo. He looks kinda like a Muun, but not quite. I could be wrong.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Loved the movie. wearing my Vader Vols shirt today.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

From second time through.

1. BB8 is basically a puppy.
    2. Chewie shrugging odd han being a hero was awesome and I don't know how I missed it first time.
    3. What role does the guy at the very beginning with Luke's whereabouts play? Who is he?
    4. I'm pulling a 180. Rey has no training unless she had her memory wiped somehow. She's just awesome.
    5. It sounded like kylo ren voice holding her arm in the flashback scene.
    6. I can't decide if she's Luke's or leais kid, but I'm leaning luke.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I see Luke as maintaining the celibate Jedi rule, myself. I think she is Ren's sister.

I think I definitely have to go see it again, though.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

#3 I wondered about that too. I couldn't think of anyone

I've decided that Kylo Ren is meant to be in development too, he's not a finished product, which explains why they could hang with him.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

1. They took one of the most badass villains of all time and followed him up with a whiny little [itch bay]. Hopefully his "final training" will mean no more ridiculous temper tantrums.

2. If you are the child of Darth Vader, do us all a favor and don't reproduce. It's like if Hitler's children considered having kids. The correct response is "Uhhh, better not. Just to be safe."

3. Was I the only one who was made to feel uncomfortable by the scene where Kylo uses the force to **** with Rey's mind? It felt extremely rapey.

4. I too wondered who the old guy in the first scene was.

5. Also didn't like how Rey went from nobody to badass so quickly.

6. The idea of Kylo Ren killing Luke Skywalker seems preposterous, but I'm almost certain it's going to happen at some point. I'll be extremely pissed.

7. Overall, I enjoyed it despite finding it a little predictable. I'm excited to see where they go from here.

8. I love me some Daisy.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

On my second time through I think I enjoyed it a little more than the first time.

1) Kylo Ren is alright until he takes his mask off, then I just want him to die
    2) I still have a problem with Rey's powers manifesting itself at Ludicrous Speed
    3) BB8 is awesome, I think he'll be even more lovable than R2D2, when it's all said and done
    4) Outside of Ren and maybe Leia, the acting is pretty top notch
    5) I can definitely see the Snoke as Darth Plageius theory. Dude clearly has some face decay going on
    6) Looking forward to a stronger plot in Episode VIII which hopefully isn't a cover of ESB

8. CardinalVol

I will admit, I was hoping that Ackbar would say "It's a trap!" somehow in this.

The more I've thought about Rey, they more I've decided her light saber skills stem from her just being a bad ass in general (see fight earlier in movie). And what she did isn't much different from Luke shooting a torpedo down that hole by using the force.

And guys, let's face it, the Skywalker gene pool just makes for whiney, [itch bay]y guys in their younger days. Akakin was, Luke was, Kylo Ren is.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Took my oldest to see it last night, and enjoyed it for what it was.

I liked the Fin storyline.

Kylo Ren reminded me of Andy Samburg. Except I'd imagine Andy Samburg to be a more intimidating figure.

This one didn't seem as disjointed and far removed from the original three, as the most recent three did. I really liked that.

I like the girl, and think she's the daughter of Han and Leia.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Rey is likely the daughter of Luke

11. NorrisAlan

Rens temper tantrums are part and parcel of the Dark Side. I think it was the perfect manifestation of a raw, soon to be Sith Lord.

12. NorrisAlan

I don't see it. The way she and Han were finishing each others sentences, the closeness that she and Kylo Ren have, and how savvy she was with the Falcon. All points to Han and Leia. And I just don't see Luke having a romantic relationship as that is against the Jedi code.

13. CardinalVol

Yup.

I still think he's going to turn out to be a pretty badass bad dude. Not Vader, but pretty badass.

14. CardinalVol

I've half wondered if she's Han's kid and not Leia's.

15. NorrisAlan

I know in the books it is pretty much canon that Han and Leia had twins (boy and a girl). I think in this version, they are not twins, but simply brother and sister. Ren is older than Rey and when Ren went all Vader, he stole Rey from Han and Leia.

I think he was supposed to kill her but couldn't do it and instead marooned her on Jakku.

Han seems to be taken aback when Rey says she is from Jakku, so the family may have put her there, I don't know.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. But I don't see how she could be Luke's daughter.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I originally took that as them being both gear heads, but maybe there's something to it. I agree that Luke doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to have a relationship.

17. NorrisAlan

I will say it has made me a bit sad and apprehensive that Abrams will not be directing the next films (unless something changes). I assume there are writers that have all three stories fleshed out, however. Would hate for the next guy to come in and just turn it into wonkville.

18. NorrisAlan

I don't think it would be wise to even try to recreate Vader. Use his shadow and then make a new character. Probably not as strong, either, since Vader was immaculately conceived by the Force. I doubt anyone has the potential that Anakin Skywalker had.

19. CardinalVol

Rian Johnson gets 8 and 9.

The cast is very happy with the script.

20. CardinalVol

Benicio del Toro is to be the villain in this film. I don't know if he is assuming a Captain Phasma role (which I was expecting more from), or how he plays in.