Georgia State Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Aug 31, 2019.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

1. I sat through the Wyoming game. This is infinitely worse.

2. Scripted plays in first quarter on offense were well designed.

3. We still suck tremendously on the line of scrimmage. Both sides. Offensive line has small improvement, but still too many lapses. And if you can’t get a 1/2 yard on Georgia state on 3rd and 1.... you can’t and won’t win against anyone.

4. Defensively we are confused. We lined up wrong multiple times. That’s not a personnel issue, that’s a coaching issue. Dumb the defense down to fit the personnel you do have. There is no excuse in having two 3 techniques with a sniffer lined up inside the tackle. You are effectively leaving your middle linebacker in a 2-3 on 1 situation. Pruitt is a great defensive mind. But that doesn’t mean jack squat if your players don’t get it.

5. To’oto is a player. Got lost in space at times with some misdirection, and is still undersized. But barring any injuries, he will be a stud before it’s all said and done. How we respond this upcoming 3-4 weeks will determine who is coach will be his junior season.

6. Eric Gray has an elusiveness that we haven’t had at RB in quite some time. He’s going to have some negative plays here and there trying to make something happen, but he’s a legit threat that will only get better.

7. It’s absolutely criminal that JJ and Callaway weren’t targeted more. Which leads to....

8. Guarantano can talk about how his name is pronounced until the cows come home. He’s just not capable of being a QB that will ever win anything meaningful. The line missed some slide protections on stunts... but JG has no feel for the game. None. His passes to backs, his inability to read where stunts are coming, his taking sacks on critical situations for holding the ball for days. If he isn’t your future, which he isn’t, you pull the plug and find your best. He’s not it.

9. The OLine did do a better job of communicating on X stunts. GSU did their homework and attacked with X stunts because it was the bane of the OL’s existence for the last 2 years now and beyond.

10. Jeremy Pruitt’s tenure will be determined by what he does from this point on. The fan base is no longer passive and giving time like sheep with Dooley and Botch. He has some weak links on staff, that needs to be fixed immediately. His game management is terrible. Substitution patterns are erratic, and that only happens when the coaching staff isn’t on the same page. Today’s loss was inexcusable. How this group bounces back will determine whether he’s on the sidelines in 2021.

Poppa T, Tar Volon and Ssmiff like this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I would like to add

11. [uck fay] Jeremy Pruitt

YankeeVol likes this.
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If he doesn’t beat Florida this year, I don’t see him making it here.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Pruitt isn’t the guy. No recovering from this.

As bad as Butch was, when people 50 years from now are talking about rock bottom, they’ll be talking about losing at home to Ga St.

YankeeVol and A-Smith like this.
  5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

A loss at home to a Sun Belt team wasn't enough for you?

zehr27 likes this.
  6. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Fork it.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Wait ‘til he loses to Chattanooga. At home.

awebb7 likes this.
  8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

It was absolutely enough for me. I won’t be in Neyland again until we have a coach that can win. It might be a while.

vols85, YankeeVol and reVOLt like this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m talking about recruiting. He still has a punchers chance right now. But he’s been selling 8 wins this year on the recruiting trail and that makes Florida a must win.

The biggest issue was not having an answer for a mobile qb attacking the boundary.

Which they had to know was coming since that’s been an issue for Alabama for awhile.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We had no answer for anything to the boundary.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont think he survives after today unless this was just a massive mistake in underpreparing and completely overlooking by the staff and players. Which is a problem by itself.

I dont know that he has to beat UF this year but the rest of the winnable games will be viewed no different regardless of what they did today.

The grace period is no more.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

from here, 2-10 looks more likely than 8-4. [uck fay] this shit.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont believe g st ran option last year and we sure didnt look like we expected it.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Didn’t have a soul on pitch man. Not once. We were hellbent on playing zero in the secondary. No one was in the flats all damn day.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They ran speed option. It’s not like they were running triple option at us.

Inside LB backer QB and force takes pitch.

Stop blitzing the force into the boundary or play cover 2 with your corner if you’re going to blitz your Overhang

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did Banks start at LB? If so, was he confused or out of position a good bit?

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He appeared to be as confused as I was for most of the afternoon.

18. Ssmiff

it looked like their coach and QB play actioned on him, and went his way with the ball all day

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Ive seen Alabama win 25 straight, vandy run up a win streak over us, and Oregon beat us by 100. This feels like a new low.

lylsmorr likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

Meanwhile, Gus with a chance to win vs #11 with a true freshman qb