Guns

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not that I know of, but I'm not in favor of people carrying in the classroom. We have two police officers here from bell to bell and they even have their own office. I feel that is plenty without having people packing in a learning environment.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It is not trending up. It may feel that way to you but it is not trending up.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It isn’t a solution.

But to remove an adult we trust around children’s ability to defend themselves, and their charges if they do choose, based on an unsubstantiated belief is not even a step, much less a solution.

No one is saying someone trained in self defense should go on the offensive, but if they have met all requirements by the state, why can’t they bar their door, gather around their class, and draw their gun, if they need to do so?

4. fl0at_

Why?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

So what other year were there more than 18 mass shootings by the middle of February?

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you show me a source for public mass shootings NOT trending up? The Washington Post and other sources show it trending up over the past 50 years.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

At least it’s somewhat a deterrent

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They have become more deadly but that's hard to single out as they've also become mostly gun free zones plus magazine capacity has increased.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

New FBI statement:

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami field office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami field office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”

12. fl0at_

They are taking blame, and it isn't their fault, either. And neither was it the tipster, though I'm sure many will question why they didn't "contact their local law enforcement as well."

13. Unimane

As I said, having an officer or two, I believe, is sufficient, along with appropriate security measure in place in most every school nowadays, and I do not feel having guns in a classroom is appropriate, nor necessary.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I agree, I'd rather have steel security doors that automatically lock. I am all for school officers, even having a safe or something with AR and shotguns inside.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fire all teachers. Mandatory homeschooling. Problem solved. Millions of dollars saved. Next.

woodshed likes this.
  16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Gets rid of all the inappropriate teacher/student relationships too.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

A kid in one of the rooms where students died is doing an AMA on reddit. He was in the room with the video where you can hear the loud gunshots. He did a map. 1/2 students went to "blue" dot. 1/2 Students went to "orange" dot. Door was locked. after starting shooting down the hall and being unable to get into the room the shooter (red dot) started firing through little window on door. Students in orange group die. Students in blue dot lived.

[​IMG]

18. fl0at_

That isn’t an answer as to why you don’t think it is appropriate or necessary.

That is an answer as to why you don’t think it is necessary in your microcosm of a universe, because you have what you feel is sufficient for yourself.

19. Unimane

Yes, it does. My universe is the school room, which is what we're discussing, and I'm telling you that I think schools having an SRO and a viable security system is an effective and reasonable measure for dealing with potential threats. Guns in the classroom is distracting, dangerous and will create more problems than they solve, I have zero doubt. Why would one even consider this appropriate?

I've never been one, at all, to say something along the lines of if my preferred candidate doesn't win said election, then I'll leave the country. However, if we've come to the point in which it becomes a rational thought and, especially, policy to arm teachers in classrooms, then I'm very seriously considering getting out as we've crossed threshold that I'm not interested in crossing.

JayVols and doolmeonce like this.
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

some teacher is going to kill someone they shouldn't guaranteed if we arm them.

JayVols and RockyHill like this.