It's Happening Again.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, May 25, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's done a fantastic job getting Hurd to commit this early (as Dooley literally did nothing in regards to his recruitment) and making sure the legacies are in recruits' ears. This class an odd one in that there's a lot of legacy players that are really good, but Butch was left in a really big hole because the last staff, with Hinshaw and Graham being the exceptions, quit after Florida.

That being said, after three years of a bumbling idiot that didn't go to high school games to see players, it's easy to get too excited about what he's done. He is doing beter than he should though.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The average fan wasn't the only one with delusional optimism for Phil though. Fulmer did a better job surrounding himself with yes men than most politicians.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You honestly expected a class w a shot at #1 class in the country?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I though 2009 was going to be a miserable year. It was until Crompton had the playbook paired down and Tennessee looked like a decent team. The same guys that couldn't score against Northern Illinois ran UGA out of the stadium.

I think we'll all be fairly shocked at how well the running game looks once it becomes a priority and how the defense, while still not great, will look better than a middle school team since they will at least know their assignments 75% of the time.

I don't think we'll see this team quit on their coach and I don't think this staff will put the team in a position to lose every week. That will win 6 or 7 games.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I wouldn't go that far. Part of the reason the ranking is so high is we already have a bunch of commits. Also, if the season is really bad, it may be difficult to hold on to some of these guys.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Merely holding serve? Three of our commits right now are legacies. Sure Hurd is instate but nobody thought he would be on board this early, if at all. This is worse than people saying he has a 7-8 win roster.

As far as the OP goes, that's gonna happen no matter who the coach is.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  7. chavisut

One of our commits isn't even rated right now. Another is a 5.5 kicker.

I have a feeling the recruits understand there will be struggles. They have committed to a school that hasn't had a winning record in four years.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Butch practically lived in the halls of Beech hs the weeks leading up to Hurd's visit to the UK game.

9. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Agreed. Because leaving it in her is just another problem for the AD...

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

No, Butch has actually exceeded my expectations for him and is doing what I think a Tennessee coach should do. I am not in awe of what he has done though by any stretch. The nonsense about how hard it is to recruit at Tennessee has gotten out of hand.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do agree he's doing what Tennessee's head coach should be doing. I'm surprised he's doing though, especially with the dogshit job Dooley did in recruiting.

The bridges Dooley burnt should take years to repair. Butch has done it, for the most part, in 6 months.

I still don't know if this staff can coach, but he's doing everything right right now.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm surprised and impressed by the class. I just don't see it finishing number 1.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dooley burnt some bridges so thoroughly, some people may have rebuilt them with Butch just to spite DD.

14. chavisut

Okay but you seemed to discredit where it is right now.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Butch has done better than I expected so far in recruiting. My hope is that he does the same on the field. The recruiting will remain strong if the product on the field improves and Butch shows he belongs. He doesn't have to set the woods on fire this year, but he desperately needs to give us all something to believe in right out of the gate. If he can beat AU, Mizzou and Vandy, go 7-5, it would be a great first year and more than I am expecting given our current talent level

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I didn't think I did. My only comment regarding the quality of the class was concerning the chances of finishing in the top spot. I'm just not sure we're still in front of some of those teams who currently have 3-4 fewer commits in February. I admittedly don't follow recruiting very closely.

17. chavisut

Maybe not. We will be very high.

Take away our 3 lowest recruits and we're 5th or 6th. Give Kameel Jackson a 3 star and we're number one.

18. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

We'll also be 3-4 commitments ahead of them when it is all said and done, as we can sign 30.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's twenty eight now

20. chavisut

Should be 29. Started at 31 iirc.