Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m sure we have insulated pipes.

my propane grill didn’t like the 13 degree weather yesterday day though and could only get two burners to work

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Mom and dad had a wood burning stove and it warped our dining room table.

justingroves likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The weekend will be warm, hold on.

TennTradition likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't really a natural gas problem, it is a winterization/insulation problem. The northeast-- heck, Siberia-- runs on natural gas. Power/fuel type has nothing to do with Texas' problem, but it makes for good deflections.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We have gas heat and water, and neither will work without power.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Grew up with a wood stove. Thank goodness most of the kids in my classes did too - we didn’t know we all stank.

That thing would burn so hot we’d open the storm door in the middle of winter. Friends used to come over and say they got the best sleep they’ve ever had on our couch because the thing was so hot, I guess.

7. TennTradition

Yeah that does become the problem.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of Texas houses and buildings are having pipes burst.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah my main system doesn’t work without power but I put in an ventless gas log in my fireplace for a backup.

we have city water now so we’re good there.

growing up we had well water so we didn’t have running water when the power went out. It was a fun time pulling the well so you could run a skinny water bucket down the well to draw water

10. fl0at_

I took gas out so I could have a wood burning fireplace, but left a gas starter.

But, I think we about to put in a whole home generator after this past year.

11. TennTradition

We had a creek down the hill So it was down the hill for us with 5 gal buckets to get water for boiling or flushing.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

they make some pretty sweet ones that run off of natural gas.

justingroves likes this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah for flushing and washing off, we’d just pack snow in pots and set them on our gas stove to melt.

we’d draw water for drinking and cooking.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Shit man. This is getting bad in TX.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm pretty much the only person predicting this, but I still think it's gonna get worse here than they are predicting tonight.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

don't know if this is true, rick. but either way, any suggestion that rolling black outs due to weather are acceptable in 21st century america, whether California or texas, is silly and lazy. we can do better.

17. TennTradition

We tended to keep power in snows, but for the ice storms we’d be without powers for days after the ice was gone.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah we went almost two weeks without power in 97 or 98 ice storm.

the pine beetle had killed most of the pine trees and then the snow and ice brought them down all over the county.

I remember going out and cutting out and clearing roads all day with my dad and grandpa. That’s the wildest I’ve ever seen it.

national guard had to helicopter supplies to people in remote areas of the county

TennTradition likes this.
  19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Blount Co usually gets it worse than Knoxville so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case this week too. I doubt we really see anything here.

20. fl0at_

Yea, I need to do some more reading, but if they got one that would do propane/natural and gasoline. That way I'd be good no matter what.