Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Maybe they should rake the forests like they do in Finland

2. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Cackled reading this this AM.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wife is lobbying for me to go pickup Garibaldi's.

Gonna take me an hour to get there and back, so I'm hoping she decides soon.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pork pizza from garibaldis worth the trip imo

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, they've been heavy on the pork and sauce the last few years, so it gets super greasy.

But, they will happily charge full price to put less pork on, which is what we do.

"Light pulled pork."

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It affects anyone buying wholesale power. Some Texans elect to do that. Most of us are on retail plans so no different than normal. Industry pays wholesale. So a lot of plants shutting down.

emainvol likes this.
  7. TennTradition

Well we were without power (and heat) for 48 hours. We have it now but I suspect we’ll get cut at some point. Got pretty cold Monday night but did some things differently yesterday that made for a better night last night. Lost cep towers most of that time but was able to drive around to get some calls out.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

My wife won't let me venture out for take out. Probably for the best.

Also, she knows I might intentionally drive into a ditch to get a few hours away from our toddler. Hope you get that sweet, sweet pork pizza.

9. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Saw an interesting twitter thread with some tips about losing heat. Stuff like designating a "warm room", stuffing windows, etc.

Glad y'all got through it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. TennTradition

We basically did that. Took us a cold night to realize we should devise a strategy. Worked well last night.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Take my at the time 70 something year old grandmother's advice, who survived a week without power and flat out refused to leave her house.

1. Get a kerosene heater
    2. Put quilts up over all the doors so heat cannot get out.
    3. Move into one room only getting out to get food and go to bathroom.

Said room will be approximately 175 degrees and you will more likely burn up than freeze to death.

I am getting a chuckle out of all these tough Texans crying about this though. I know there are some fundamental issues with the electrical grid, but it's still comical.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

two or three whole generations have basically forgotten skills that humans have had for 200,000 years.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s why I have natural gas like John Ward told me too.

plus a wood stove in my workshop just in case things get really sideways.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I just remember walking in her house the first time after she had done this and nearly getting knocked down by the heat.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Na Treul gahsss lady sold you

16. TennTradition

We used our natural gas burners and boiling water combined with plastic over windows and sheets blocking off other areas of the house. Worked like a champ.

2Maggitt2Quit and Volst53 like this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Pulling that Cumberland Co magic out

TennTradition likes this.
  18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Couldn't help but think about those ads among the reports of nat gas plants freezing up.

Ward's gas would never let us down, though.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's what we did during the blizzard in the early 90s. I remember going outside to play just to cool off because the room was so damn hot.

CardinalVol likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I remember holidays at my grandparents.

they’d run their wood stove so hot you’d have to open the damn windows and doors to handle it.

I can’t stand electric heat though. Maybe if it never gets under 45 where you live but just seems like the worst way to heat your house