2020-21 Basketball Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Apr 25, 2020.

1. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Now that would be some shit.

2. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I would not trust anything Basilio says about Barnes

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Keep dragging us, sports universe.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really curious to see what Fulkerson does. He's been robbed of two post seasons, one by a scourge of humanity and another by the corona virus.

TennTradition and A-Smith like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

aint no way Springer is going to go sit a year then play for another college. If he does, decision making isn't one of his assets. Got a top pg coming in that will open it up for everybody. If he gets butthurt for getting barked at or benched for mistakes, get thicker skin

6. Ssmiff

I really hope he comes back and somehow finds a way to put on 25 lbs to get up to 180

VOLinDAWGland and utvol0427 like this.
  7. KyleAlexanderfan

Don’t think he would have to sit out. But yeah - that doesn’t seem likely.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

Pember must be 120lbs if Fulky is at 155

SetVol13 likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Throughout the season I have wondered if the other players like Springer. He seems a little aloof. OTOH Keon was very well liked.

10. Ssmiff

How many 5* do the sweet 16 teams have? I don't know. Pearls best teams had lower ranked players. I'm not saying I don't want them, but seems our program plays better ball with underrated, less athletic kids. 5* have been coddled, told they are the best and have one thing on their minds, NBA.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Calipari's Kentucky teams were at their best when they had a mix of veteran guys and one and done players. You get a chance with a Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony-Towns, you take them. We had trouble when we had to have the two freshmen lead the team. It's just not going to work out. We needed the alpha to be Fulkerson, but he was hurt or sick. I think, next year, it has to be Fulky and JJJ to be the veteran leaders with Chandler being the third voice as PG.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Fulkerson is not an alpha, which was part of the problem. Pons needed to be the guy.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think we are better off with two lower rated guys this season rather than the 5 stars. They weren't the problem. Two guards were not going to come in their first year and fix the lack of a consistent big or a true point guard.

14. Ssmiff

Maybe not IP, but a jr or sr who knows how to play and can shoot the 3 from anywhere wouldve helped this team. Of course post and pg, but to have 2 highly rated guards, neither of whom can handle the ball well, take care of it or shoot from outside 10 feet, isn't what I want to see again.
    Ncaa tourney is full of dudes who can shoot. Teams can't dare them like they did us.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we are in 100% agreement. Especially on the shooting aspect. And I think you can put the inconsistency/badness of FT shooting in that same category, because both are critical to winning competitive games and were glaring weaknesses. The stat about Vescovi's FT % in the last few minutes and overtime vexed me, because it means he does all his missing in the first half/middle of the game... but is fully capable of flipping the switch so why doesn't he do so from the start?

And I am not picking on the Gaines thing, it is an example but he also was coming in cold at the end of a game. More of a critique of rotation that he wasn't getting worked in a bit more if he was an option, rather than dropping him in with the game on the line in the last couple minutes. Appears indecisive on the rotation.

16. Ssmiff

Yeah the Gaines thing was supposed to be an off/def sub thing imo. Kid can play some D and matched up with bamas length. Did his job. Shooting those fts for an already not good shooter was a tall task. Doubt anybody on the bench expected him to make them. Feel bad for him. Hope he can bulk up, get a better release and play some good minutes. Maybe try shooting right handed..

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Fulkerson needs to play the 4 instead of the 5.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

In hindsight, we had guys playing positions because they were the best option, but it wasn't their best position. That does seem problematic. End up with something less than the sum of its parts.

19. Ssmiff

I want a 4 who can hit the 3.

utvol0427 likes this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I want Grant Williams back