Happy Birthday, America!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jul 4, 2021.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We had 2 hour concert then fireworks. Thoudands attended shoulder to shoulder. Back to a sense of normalcy and good times .

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which is what it should be like in a country where everyone has easy access to the vaccine.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Medical has to treat the people, whether they got the vaccine or not (because they didn't).

When all is said and done, the health care costs associated with this is going to be insane.

The only people affected by a large gathering are going to be the non vaccinated.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What’s your point?

5. fl0at_

Baltimore saved tax payer money, and all it cost was canceling a pointless display, and a bit of your [itch bay]ing, "fiscal conservative."

JudgmentVol and SetVol13 like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought extruding [itch bay]ing from Indy was the product, not the cost.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh they did? That’s great news! When should I expect my refund check back in the mail?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Then you can [itch bay] about the fact it cost the city 10 cents to get you your 3 cents back.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Thanks for stating my next point. Not only are they not saving taxpayer money by skipping the fireworks, but even if they were, it would be almost nothing. If anything, they’re costing the taxpayer money as people pay for gas and put miles on their cars to go watch fireworks elsewhere. I’m sure the local neighborhood business owners loved that it was a ghost town as well.

If the mayor had cited “saving the taxpayer money,” I might have been less inclined to complain. But using COVID as an excuse is a joke and bordering on a straight up lie.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So what is the truth?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Power? Control? You tell me.

12. fl0at_

You don't get a refund. You'll be lucky if you just get a slightly higher increase, to cover the extra unnecessary costs.

But, let's hash this out, how necessary do you find fireworks to be, on the list of government spending?

13. fl0at_

Government spending and individuals choosing to spend, by driving elsewhere, aren't anywhere near similar.

You have once again shown your idiocy.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

How could I tell you, you're the one proposing that it isn't about COVID. What power comes from it? What control? Seems like it's costing political capital, and thus not about power or control.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If we are actually gonna hash it out, then it’s not really about how necessary it is. It’s about the value compared to the cost.

The cost of the fireworks is minimal, and the value, though challenging to calculate exactly, seems high enough, since literally every single Baltimore City resident can enjoy them. Then you can factor in the amount of money that local business owners gain as a result of people being in the city all day/night.

So necessary? Not very. But probably worth the cost, based on the value returned.

16. fl0at_

If fireworks cost but 150,000 for the 4th event, factoring in Fire, EMS, and police services necessary for the event, plus the cost of material.

If you live to be 80, that would be 12 million dollars you will have seen wasted. For about 4,800 seconds of enjoyment.

There is no value in that.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If the decision by the government drives the choices of the individuals, how are they not related? People want to watch fireworks on the 4th of July. If Baltimore City cancels the annual fireworks, how are the people of Baltimore supposed to watch fireworks?

18. fl0at_

The decision doesn't drive the choice. People choose whether they do or do not.

They can simply choose not to watch fireworks and then they've saved their personal money, and the government has saved their money.

Hurray! Both sides saved.

If one side or the other chooses to spend money, that is on them. But typically, all you fiscal conservatives say government shouldn't spend.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Your numbers and math are all kinds of out there.

First, you probably need to cut that $150 million number in half.

Second, how old do you think I am?

Third, how long do you think a city fireworks show is?

How many people do you think watch a city fireworks show? How many parties do you think are thrown and lead up to it? There’s plenty of value in a city fireworks show on the 4th of July.

20. fl0at_

Where did you get 150 million? You do know that 150,000 is 150 thousand, right?

You do know that 150,000 * 80 = 12,000,000 (that's 12 million. That whole formula is 150 thousand * life expectancy.)

How old you are has no relevance to "spent in life time," unless you plan on dying now. Which I support.

4800 is 60 * 80, as 60 seconds is about the enjoyment a person will get out of a fireworks show, and I've been generous to give credit for the entire lifetime.

There is no value. It is literally burning money.