Happy Birthday, America!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They already spent the money on the Baltimore fireworks show, whether it happens or not.

The decision absolutely drives the choice. It doesn’t force it, but it certainly drives it. Poll every person who left the city to watch fireworks elsewhere:

“Would you have stayed in the city if the fireworks show had not been canceled?”

What percentage of people do you think would say yes? I’m betting above 80%. That’s the definition of a decision driving a choice.

How much of the $150 million dollars you think was allotted for the fireworks show is actually “saved” by canceling it less than 2 months out? My guess is the city didn’t save the full allotment, which is just 100% waste. At least if you have the show, you see some return based on residents watching and enjoying it.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It was a typo. Cut the $150k in half.

You used the word “you,” which implies you’re talking about me. If you’re talking about a person in general, say “a person.”

The fireworks show in Baltimore is 15-20 minutes. Your 60 second allotment is a joke. And I’m not sure why you’re calculating based on a lifetime to begin with. Most Baltimore City residents aren’t living in Baltimore City for a lifetime.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How can it be about COVID when literally every single adult resident of Baltimore has access to the vaccine, along with children up to a certain age?

Adult Americans can make their own decisions. If they want to get vaccinated, they likely already are. If they don’t, the government shouldn’t be punishing them or the ones who already have.

I’m not sure what political capital you think it’s costing him.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It makes people like you mad. That's what it is costing him. But what is he gaining? You tell me. If we can't think of anything, then maybe he did act out of concern for COVID, rightly or wrongly.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The candidate from the Democratic Party is virtually guaranteed to win the mayoral race in Baltimore. Since I’m not a registered Democrat, I don’t get to vote in the primary. So, in other words, this dude doesn’t give a [uck fay] if he makes people like me mad because my vote is meaningless to him.

He’s gaining the feeling of knowing that he controlled how over half a million people spent their holiday. Maybe the contractor handling the fireworks pissed him off so he [uck fay]ed them over. It could be any number of things. Maybe it truly was about COVID, but if it was, then that makes it about control as well. Because the vaccine is readily available. People have made their decisions. The mayor is overstepping.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

overstepping by making a decision on a city event?

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They have not spent the money. The government has not spent money until they spend money. Regardless of what you think your money goes to or not. SCOTUS has ruled on this.

What the people choose to do is their choice, and has nothing to do with government. Whether they leave, or not, is their (the people's) choice. The city now has extra money. Those that didn't leave now have extra money. Those are the facts.

8. fl0at_

I'm talking about you. "In your lifetime." I assume you'll live to be about 80, just like everyone else.

In your lifetime, Baltimore will have spent about 12,000,000 on fireworks. Where they live is irrelevant. Because they're going to live somewhere. It's demonstrating a concept that a small amount of money is a large amount of money over a long period of time, and that long period of time is your lifetime.

There is no way it is 75,000. You have extra law enforcement. Those guys didn't just pop up for an event. Those guys have overtime. And that costs the city money. 150,000 is probably on the low side.

The length of the fireworks show has nothing to do with how long is enjoyed. The attention span of most human being is measured in seconds. Even less for other humans. 60 seconds is lenient.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You don't think the government stays on the hook for any $$$ by cancelling what you've deemed a $150k event less than 2 months before it's supposed to take place?

Your second paragraph is just a fantasy. I agree with the first half of sentence one, but the second half is an outright lie. Again, you're trying to pretend that the words "force" and "drive" are synonymous.

If the government makes a rule that no public gyms/workout facilities can operate within city limits, would you claim that the government isn't driving people to seek gyms outside the city? By your definitions, they could just do cardio outside in the city, buy a home gym, or just not work out anymore. It's their choice to go outside the city to workout at a gym. Not driven by government at all.

What a ridiculous claim.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

$12,000,000 over a period of 80 years is not a lot of money for a city of half a million + residents.

Lol, it's Baltimore, dude. There's always a high amount of law enforcement, and people set off their own fireworks like crazy here. There were cops everywhere on Sunday. I'm fairly confident Baltimore doesn't spend extra on law enforcement if it has a fireworks show. Also, when they have one, they launch them from a barge in the harbor. So the need for additional firefighters is minimal as well. Again, they're already out in full force as people launch every type of firework you can think of from their row homes in a densely populated city.

You're just making shit up with your 60 seconds claims.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Overstepping by pushing an indoor mask mandate until July 1. Overstepping by canceling the city fireworks show when literally every surrounding area went forward with their own.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see how local decisions by the mayor is overstepping. You will be pleased to know Baltimore is doing even better regarding new cases than most other places, and surely this is why.

13. fl0at_

$12,000,000 is $12,000,000. The next time you think "Wow, I wish Baltimore" had something like that, and the price is less than $12,000,000, remember, that you thought fireworks were more important.

Baltimore absolutely spends extra on law enforcement for fireworks show, because of crowd control. If there was not crowd control, those officers would not be around. Whether people set off fireworks anywhere else is irrelevant, because unless law enforcement is out cracking down on that, they wouldn't need extra law enforcement for it. How do you not understand that? Firefighters are the same, they stand up on the 4th, due to fire and crowds, because EMS has to be present for crowds. How do you not understand that?

To an extent, yes, it is "making shit up." But even if you had full attention span for 15 minutes, you've still spent money that could be used for other things, so people could go "ooh, ahhh." In other words, wasted money. If you want "ooh, ahhh" Open an art exhibit. Oh, but wait, fiscal conservatives don't like spending government money on that "ooh, ahh." I guess cause it isn't 'Merica enough for them.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I used to think spending government money on the arts was not a good use, but I no longer feel that way. Culture is important and in the public interest.

15. fl0at_

The government doesn't stay on the hook for much of anything, no. Because you can't sue government. When the government does choose to pay, they're paying for material, which is the cheapest part of everything. This is why places have DEPOSITS. Government lost their deposit. Nothing more.

People are responsible for their actions. If government makes a rule that no public gyms/workout facilities can operate in their city limits, people CAN make the choice to do home gyms, or work out outside. Absolutely. Government hasn't done anything, if someone CHOOSES that they need a public gym. They made a choice, and that is on them. The person.

16. fl0at_

Spending 12,000,000 on art would be better spent, because at least the art work isn't over in 15 minutes. Or 30 minutes. Or 60 minutes. Or whatever fleetingly small amount of time Indy wants to put on the vast concept of time.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Also, the national fireworks were just an hour or two away and everyone does their own fireworks around here too.

18. fl0at_

Ridgewood NJ, town of ... 30,000? Suburb of New York? Estimates they spend 100,000 a year on fireworks. I guess they just spent more than Baltimore...

Hey look, small town figured out deposits, but Indy's Balitmore struggles... I guess a city is made up of its inhabitants.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...ks-costs-display-police-equipment/7831990002/

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'd love to see that data. I'd put a lot more stock in new hospitalizations rather than new cases.

Why would I be pleased to know that? Again, I'm of the opinion that an extremely high percentage of cases, at this point, are the result of people's personal choices. If you don't get the vaccine and you get Covid, that's on you, imo.

I'm not willing to say "good" or "bad" on anything as general as "the arts." I do like the fact that something like a fireworks show in the harbor is pretty accessible to everyone.

We took my fiance's parents, who are in town visiting, to DC on Saturday and couldn't believe it wasn't busier. It did seem to be picking up as we were leaving though, and it looked packed for the 4th. Still, I don't think the national fireworks is a realistic alternative to a majority of Baltimore City. Beyond the headache of getting there and back, how many people literally just can't get there and back?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol what do you think the deposit is on a 150k event?

I agree that people are responsible for their actions. The truth of that statement does not mean that government decisions can't drive the choices of individuals. Government decisions absolutely drive individual choices, and you sound like an idiot trying to claim otherwise.