COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think there is an easier way to say it, which is that government has taken away the ability of the citizen to find medical relief outside of the medical establishment (created by government policy), while simultaneously not providing any medical relief. They've essentially allowed medical monopoly, and as such, should provide a minimum level of care.

There is a minimum level of care in just about all situations, or an alternative, but not in medicine.

Broke the law, standing trial => public attorney.
    Broke your ankle, standing on ice on a sidewalk with no salt added => no public doctor.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/07/immune-system-second-covid-19-vaccine-dose.html

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There is a negative side to some of this, though, which is that certain cellular levels tend to cause doctors to focus on certain types of illnesses, to find the diagnosis. By increasing some of these cellular levels above normal, doctors run the risk of not being able to rely on that past knowledge.

Which, ok, yea, that's a side effect. But something that medicine is going to have to adapt to, which may take some time, and cause some rare conditions to go misdiagnosed.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Didn’t think of that. Was too busy trying to figure out how to harness my new turbo-charged immune system for ev… good

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes... good...

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

there is a similar thing I saw where in investigators were curious about how some Nairobi sex workers through the peak of the AIDS epidemic were living and working for years, staying healthy with HIV. it turned out that by continuously being exposed to new HIV infections kept the immune system activated and prevented progression... until they retired and then they grew ill and died

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So I should start tongue kissing Red Hats?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

if you started, don't ever stop.

SetVol13, fl0at_ and emainvol like this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This anti-vaxx stuff is making some weird bedfellows. My decidedly hippie-ish ex-wife has swamped me with vaccine scare articles from a host of YouTube videos and pieces from the small group of discredited doctors who have been the cited doctors in these circles for years. But, today, she sends me an article about Senator Ron Johnson having a press conference focusing on the negative effects of the vaccine. It's amazing to see. I don't even argue with her anymore, not since she spent 10 minutes talking to my current wife (they are on good terms, mostly) in May about taking magnets to check for microchips injected from her Covid vaccination. She is long gone and open to anyone who confirms her conspiracy theories, including a right ring nut like Johnson who is the opposite of her politically in every other way.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

how can it be that all along the vaccines were said to be highly effective at preventing worst outcomes (hospitalization, death) but not as good at preventing illness entirely, especially with the new variants, but now people are freaking out as vaccinated individuals test positive as was expected would occur all along? Are we just a world of idiots who only internalize what we want to believe? Rhetorical.

TennTradition likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It was expected that vaccinated people would test positive? I don't think calling someone an idiot for not expecting vaccinated people to test positive a few weeks after vaccination is appropriate.
    I also don't recall anybody on here currently mentioning they expected to test positive at some point after vaccination. I know I didn't expect to get the virus 2 months after vaccinated. If that's going to be the case, it doesn't matter if UT football has a 100% vaccination rate. If players will be testing positive and the same CDC requirements as far as quarantining, etc, go ahead and cancel the football season.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know how to communicate effectively with you. We just end up having the same conversations.

13. Ssmiff

"All along it was known.." is how you began your post. I dont think anything regarding covid or vaccines has been "known all along". Communication is always easier when accuracy is involved, not fake hindsight and calling people idiots along with it.
    If you seriously had the expectation you would get covid within a couple of months of vaccination, you are one of the few.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

were you to be shown posts in this thread and in mainstream journalism discussing less than 100% efficacy of the vaccines in preventing illness, especially with the variants, would you change your mind?

15. Ssmiff

Feel free to show me where it was always known that current vaccines appear to be 64% effective versus variants. I dont truly believe anyone thought that low of a number when the cdc talked about vaccines working versus new variants.
    Nothing is 100%, which everybody knows, but that's quite a gap.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would not expect it, because it was 85-90% effective (at least when I got my first shot). The chances of me getting it would be low, but not 0%. Anyone thinking they would be completely immune don't completely know how vaccines work.

So, to sum up, I would not be shocked if I contracted it two weeks after I got my vaccine. That is how probabilities work.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It is true that efficacy against new variants wasn’t reported ‘forever’ ago because those variants didn’t exist in numbers to include in the testing. However it was known and widely discussed that new variants could be more evasive. And that is why it was stressed that more people get vaccinated to slow down spread enough that the risk of new emerging variants would be reduced (fewer chances to spawn new, potentially more evasive variants). It’s a core issue with natural infection as a pathway to herd immunity.

What we did see where reports of lower but still good efficacy of mRNA vaccines against early variants. While it wasn’t 95%, it was low 80s. But that doesn’t mean it’ll be above 80% for new emerging variants.

SetVol13 likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

J and J was always less than 70% effective in preventing illness. this was always an aspect.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

They did work well against the previously dominant variant, that’s one of the many reasons why cases plummeted and it was quickly overtaken by Delta.

The next dominant variant will be even more evasive, and then the next one, and then the next one.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He’s cherry-picking the Israel number, which is an outlier amongst several studies that pegged Pfizer at 80-88% effective at preventing illness

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021