POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Well thank goodness my truck and the wife's car are too old to have any of that adaptive shit.

When I have to drive her car, I turn all the warning bells and stuff off. I do like the warning light in the side mirrors especially when some old fart (speaking company excluded) or some youngster doing the SnatchChat on their phone decides that maybe 85 is too fast to pass me and ride in my blindspot.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Every time I try to use my cruise control all the other idiots do shit that make me not be able to use it.

zehr27 likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The feature forces you to be a bad driver. The worst situation is when you’re driving in the right lane with a car ahead of you, as well as a car coming up behind you fast in the left lane. If you can tell that you will hit the “slow down” feature before the car coming up behind you passes you, then you essentially have get over earlier than you’d like, forcing the car in the left lane to slow down behind you. That, or you accept the slow down feature, and often get stuck in the right lane for an extended period of time.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You should be able to turn it off.

zehr27 likes this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If I catch the car in front of me on the interstate, it’s time for them to move over, not time for me to slow down.

CitrusCo.Vol and justingroves like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a mathematical reality of traffic with a given amount of volume that only changes with coordinated self driving vehicles.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That is smart. Wish it wasn't even a thing but at least you can tweak it.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't drive my wife's vehicle very often but if I did I would be finding a way to shut it off. Too many damn features on these new cars.

VolDad and justingroves like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Subtle "I have a Porsche and you don't" post

TennTradition, Indy and SetVol13 like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

WTF does this even mean?

zehr27 and Ssmiff like this.
  11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Most annoying smart car feature by far is the auto engine cutoff. Nothing sucks more than hitting a red light in the middle of summer and the ac starts blowing hot air because the car killed the engine.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can only put so many human drivers on the road before they start a chain reaction of braking from passing each other that is traffic generation. Cars just moving over when you catch them doesn't actually solve anything, that is the origin of a traffic jam.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I agree with you. Give me heater, A/C, power windows, radio, power steering, backup camera and I am good.

zehr27 likes this.
  14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is actually my wife's. I would be happy with a 70's muscle car.

I hate all of the bells, buzzers, and whistles. Who needs multiple colors of ambient lighting to choose from and stupid shit like that.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I still don’t understand the benefit, and assume constantly turning off and on brings more pieces and parts into play to have issues.

justingroves likes this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

So we should just disregard the "Slower traffic get over" sign?

Nothing like driving down the interstate and having the traffic build-up greater in the left lane than the right, because some righteous dude likes the left lane.

I especially enjoy it when an 18 wheeler in the right lane is passing the driver in the left lane.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, we should only expect traffic to get worse as population on the road continues to increase unless some new dynamic (self-driving) comes along.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I would have preferred a more robust, modern, comfortable, timely rail system with affordable, competive rates. Then I could just drive my EV (or Uber) to a local station (and drink beers on the way over the mountains to the game).

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee would be well-suited for a rail system connecting the Smokies, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Having lived and/or worked in various countries in Asia and Europe and extensively using their long/short haul train systems, it is unforunate that we, as a geographically expansive country, have neglected/rejected that option.