The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm ready to institute a $100,000 relocation tax.

justingroves likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is just that a lot of these are second homes for people who do not participate in the local economy/community most of the year. Seems like an unfair burden on resources. Of course, my dad thinks property taxes are communism... because he wants to have his zero property tax place in Alaska and a zero property tax place somewhere else, and if the government is charging you or taking it then it is rent and communism... But I don't think he and others think through what it would all look like and don't realize how small of a fish someone like him is. We'd all be serfs in two or three generations with no property tax.

3. CardinalVol

Most are straight up moving. I met a guy from Minnesota at church Sunday that recently moved here. I meet a new person from California weekly. Honestly, if you are willing to pay property taxes and use it as a second home and not be here full time, I'd be fine with it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I can only speak anecdotally, but they are moving here. I cannot talk about relocation tax or straight up scaring the hell out of them till they leave, as my family is a transplant from Florida (I was ten when we moved to Knoxville).

And I thank my mom constantly for making that move.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Why would we be serfs if we were taxed through a different means than property tax?

I’d argue the other because I’ve known quite a few be forced to sell because they didn’t have the means to keep their paid off property besides selling before the state took it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because very quickly there would be no available property and your farm would be divided by more than a dozen heirs vying for it. The net effect would be no real active market that is accessible to normal people.

But maybe we are headed there anyway.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t play out this way. People would still have reasons to sell they just wouldn’t be forced to by the state.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I do think Powell is about to break the housing market so that should help buyers soon.

I just don’t know how hawkish he can actually be with out debt load though interest rates at 5% would add over trillion dollars to the annual deficit on just interest payments

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do you think about a temporary gas tax holiday? Biden is trying to get it done. I don't get how that will not make inflation worse if demand goes up and supply is the same. Sort of like the student loan forgiveness. I think we shouldn't do it now. Timing is wrong.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I know some people that moved in to TN because they are full remote, so might as well live some place cheaper.

I don't know how long they'll remain, but they definitely moved in.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This will be true even in a "right time." Rip the bandaid off. Make it as worse as it can be.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

he’s being a politician.

price controls, rations and other actions don’t fix inflation. They actually make it worse by attacking the symptoms instead of the cause

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

we shouldn’t do student loan forgiveness at all and won’t hold up in the courts. That’s why they’re dragging their feet. They know that too.

What they should do is let student declare bankruptcy on them and the schools have to pay a high percentage of the loan given from their endowments

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Then schools would simply means test students rather than eliminating bloat and lowering tuition.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Community college would have to pick up the kids that aren’t ready for university and a lot more would go into the trades. Which society and economy wise it would be a plus for everyone

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I wonder what's going to happen with remote work during the next global recession. I would expect these will be the first roles to go for many companies. It's an easy way to make mass layoff decisions.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

they’d cut a lot of the administration bullshit and fluff

18. CardinalVol

This could get interesting. NY has a rule that so far has stood up that if it is a job that could be done locally but the person has chosen to work remote, they are on the hook for NY state taxes. They are the only one so far that's gotten this aggressive, but more are sure to follow.

19. CardinalVol

Look, we've been pouring rocket fuel into the economy since 2008. Throw in the COVID response in 20/21 and this is the result. It was going to happen eventually. It had to. Everything is eventually going to balance out one way or the other.

Also, just had someone from Utah that just moved here call to see if I can help them out.

NorrisAlan, HCKevinSteele and IP like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh, not sure about that one. Feels share croppy.