The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

depends on where they are. I understand your points. Brentwood police have less to deal with. Parts of Baltimore, Chicago, OrangeMound area of Memphis, and many other areas are war zones imo

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

She didn't understand the law. If you are using a normal private vehicle, you are good. If you were using a heavy vehicle, or pulling a certain tonnage, or like a 16 person van for commercial purposes you would need one. Not for driving your own personal vehicle.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It was a supreme pizza, I believe.

The Dooz, warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Since she was working, you should have asked if she has a commercial driver's license to be operating that work vehicle.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

There's a wonderlic-esque test new recruits have to take in Nashville. No clue if that is standard practice across the board.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

But does the test ding you for performing too well on questions?

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

All I know is my HS friend who works for Metro PD had to take some form of a NFLish Wonderlic like test before he could officially start the multi month training program for new signees. Not exactly sure what they looked for in those tests. I know having any type of a college degree is important to them too when judging potential new recruits.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Congrats to them on catching up to Walmart circa 1994.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How many bad guys do you think the average street cop encounters on a daily basis? I do not consider the speeder, red light runner, shop lifter, etc to be bad guys (ready, willing, and able to unleash violence).

SetVol13 likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Question. Are they more likely to have quotas for bad guys or traffic stops?

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But when they do make the stop, it is often ASSUMED it is El Chapo at the wheel and not Soccer Mom. So the tension is already at 9 on the scale instead of 2 or 3 where it really should be.

SetVol13, warhammer and VolDad like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, anyone here had the experience where something is stolen or defaced and you are told to file a report but there is nothing they can do?

SetVol13 likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. Pressure washer was stolen off my porch. Filed a report but it goes straight to the statistics jar. But in reality, there really is nothing for them to do for something like that.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

But it makes them harassing good folks more annoying.

15. Ssmiff

Depends on where they go. Many police go into areas each day that you, and most, never stepped foot in, where crime and criminals are.

16. Ssmiff

50,000 traffic stops per day in the US. Lot of cops doing the right thing getting labeled. 1.5ish million stops per month. How many turn into beatings and murders? Are we generalizing for all of them or the less than a portion of 1% who mess it up for everybody.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why do you think that they are killing so many not-bad guys?

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yep, state and city departments vary but some only consider applicants who score within a certain range of intelligence. This is the story I was remembering:

https://reason.com/2013/05/01/court-oks-barring-smart-people-from-beco/

Hopefully this has changed since then.

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Interesting to learn. I honestly had no idea "being too smart to be a cop" was actually a thing. Why on earth would you reject someone who is "really smart" that wants to be a cop? The logic escapes me.

Not like we are talking about the DDay landings here where we strategically made the decision to send our youngest soldiers on the first waves directly into machine gun fire because "18 year olds are less likely to question orders than 25 year olds".

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is weird you hadn't heard this about police screening before, it has been common knowledge since at least the early 2000's.

Part of what it does is make the force more homogeneous in thinking. Which is probably bad overall, though with some benefits.