COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

about as effective as closing beaches due to covid on handrails for extended time, “superspreader teenagers”, and parks due to vapor spray from walkers in front of you.
    It was all new and a mess by many. I believe Trump had 23 covid advisors.
    No idea why you stand on the Fauci hill and not only find zero fault with anything he said, but fight for him. Is there a secret scientist society you are in where you vow to defend scientists regardless?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We didn't shut down, though, did we?

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What about the border though like you brought up? I guess we disregard Fauci being on the record proclaiming Trump closing the border to China early saved lives while Biden/Pelosi and ilk were ridiculously playing politics with that move, huh? Forget it though , who cares? Not worth having this meaningless back and forth. We just beat Duke

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Let's be real. Plenty of folks didn't give the first [uck fay] about AIDS until Ryan White 'humanized' it.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

And it was not just the “conservatives” not giving a shit about AIDS contrary to many revisionist lefties/progressives who proudly fixate on Reagan only nowadays

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Also credit where credit is due: the AIDS issue was Princess Diana’s finest hour as a human being. Her impact socially cannot be understated

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

No, it was widespread. It's human nature to an extent. If it doesn’t impact me and my loved ones, why should I care? Do you really think society was that bothered over the disease when it appeared to only kill gay men? In the 1980s? Of course not.

And gay men were slow to change unsafe sexual habits. Part of that was due to suppression within the community due to fears it would lead to societal rollbacks of gains made to that point. Plenty of blame to go around.

ole_orange likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It saved lives in the sense that it bought a little time before the peak, which is consistent with what biden said in the video you linked. There is a reason why fauci has been in his role for 40 years until recently. He adapts to information as it comes while following precautions. Shutting the border wasn't racist, it was just not going to solve the problem. And what you posted did not support your claim that shutting the border was racist. Pelosi was in China town talking about Americans being stigmatized. Biden was saying it is still coming.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even she was operating with more information at the times she did her things than what was available at the drop. The 80's were a decade, not a week.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If ever there was an epidemic ripe for conspiracies, AIDS was it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

To this day people don't accept its origins either. Bush meat in west Africa, exposed cuts while butchering.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Oh, I am not questioning it. The things I have read usually fall into either folks thinking it was monkey sex and have no cogent reason why we would be lied to about it or it was something to do with some government agency unleashing it on the undesirables of the population. The latter I think has a pop culture origin from a movie, maybe? I have seen it repeated by some lefties I'm friends with on social media like it is a real thing.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm always fond of the people who think the government is too incompetent to do anything until it comes to crafting massive, intricate, and secret conspiracies, then it's James Bond time.

Otherwise, one of my favorite comic bits by Dave Chappelle addresses his doubts on the origins of AIDS through monkey sex - "Do you know how hard it is to catch a monkey, then [uck fay] it?.......You are either a person who has sex with monkeys or people, not both.".

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The raccoon dog stuff is interesting. Apparently this was known since 2020, but it is part of the data that China has been withholding, and has again taken down from shared databases. Not sure why they don't want the sequences up there- I guess they don't want any evidence one way or another since uncertainty is better than either "market spillover" or "lab leak" from a Chinese government perspective. They want it to be from somewhere else or someone else.

Anyway, if anyone is interested this article has a decent discussion on "lab leak" vs "market spillover." And the bottom line is that we should act as if both occurred. Both are possible.

In my opinion, that we cannot categorically eliminate a lab leak is reason enough to scrutinize protocols and operations. At the same time, market spillover is a real possibility and should also be addressed.

New Evidence Supports Animal Origin of COVID Virus through Raccoon Dogs - Scientific American

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Do we totally disregard the timing of this supposed Raccoon Dog development coinciding with the US Intelligence agencies stating it more than likely was a lab leak? Like there's definitely not forces out there who might want everyone thinking this is is the fault of a Raccoon Dog as opposed to a dumb lab leak for whatever reason?

16. Ssmiff

They sell raccoon dog at the Wuhan market?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk but I think I’m naming my country band The Raccoon Dogs

18. Ssmiff

be awesome if you went viral

InVolNerable, Indy, IP and 2 others like this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Why so everyone would know you were a cheap copy? Everyone knows it's The Coon Hounds, The Blue Ticks, or even the Black and Tans, but the Raccoon Dogs sounds like a country band you ordered on Wish.

justingroves likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Because you can’t be too obvious about it