Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

All good. I am on the west side of the storm. It is very mild.

NorrisAlan, gcbvol and CitrusCo.Vol like this.
  2. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I just heard that the hurricane had diminished the water in the gulf causing the water to start to recede in the Homosassa and Crystal Rivers even though high tide times have not been reached. The best news a lot of people could hear right now.

IP likes this.
  3. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Interesting stat.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

COVID-23

justingroves likes this.
  6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Burning Man Syndrome is going to be a pretty decent unofficial name for the hybrid when COVID merges with herpes simplex virus

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks like a regular day in San Francisco.

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The climate is bonkers this year. This is going to be a big, big problem.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

3 years worth of rain at once is hard to comprehend. I know you can’t necessarily compare this way but just to try to think in terms of something I’ve seen, so that’s the 2010 Nashville flood. In that flood 6-8x more rain would have been needed to be 3 years worth. Just crazy.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

They didn't believe the models on this one at first. Thought there must be some error. There wasn't, it came to pass.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That’s insane.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Make no mistake, under the right conditions we in the southeast US may face such a circumstance (maybe not 3 years' worth because Greece is more arid than us, but a year's worth or more). It isn't "likely" but it is a lot more likely than it used to be. And I don't know what that would mean for our hydro-electric dams. Someone somewhere (TVA, Army Corps) would have to decide who loses everything or even dies, or risk even more catastrophic failure through inaction.

14. CardinalVol

After Nashville that’s a terrifying thought. Both screwed up massively.

15. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

This conversation made me think of the book Rising Tide, about the Mississippi flood in 1927. If you haven’t read it you definitely should I’m pretty certain you’d like it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it isn't pre-decided, no one wants to decide. Because no matter what, whoever was in charge will be held as at-fault for the natural disaster.

Remember, "George Bush doesn't care about Black people." Not saying that things were great in 2005, but it wasn't because anyone "didn't care."

17. CardinalVol

Exactly. Every level of government screwed that up.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would getting it right look like, would be my question to that.

The disasters of tomorrow are already set up. There is a level of authoritarianism that we are uncomfortable with that would be necessary to evacuate a city and separate people from their property.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

formed a lake. Edit nm. That’s Reelfoot lake formed from earthquakes that made the Miss River run backwards for a day.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Salton Sea was an oopsie about 100 years ago, breach of an irrigation route off the Colorado.

NorrisAlan likes this.