The MLB Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by robvols, Nov 1, 2012.

1. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

i think the Shields deal is terrible for the Royals. At least I hope so.

While the Royals have the best farm system, they have yet to produce a starter, so i think it is cler that we could tell when they were ready to make a run when they made a deal like they just did. but Shields does not turn that rotation into anything much more than it was. Which is a rather shitty rotation. And dman they gave up a lot.

2. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

i think the white sox did well to pick up Keppinger.

3rd base has kicked the Sox' ass the last few years. And while Youk got off to a good start last summer he really faded when we needed him the most. youk probably does well as a platoon guy in NY.

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I've been a Dodger fan since 5th grade, I'm now in my thirties so its been over 20 years . I'm not a fan of the way they've spent money lately but I hope it works. My concern is that they're rolling Brandon League out to be their closer and that will prove to be a weak link and a problem for them this coming season. I just don't like giving a number 2 pitcher like Greinke the second largest contract for a pitcher. I may be wrong about that but I believe CC Sabathia had a larger contract with the Yankees.

4. robvols

robvols Member

I could see the Dodgers tabbed as World Series favorites.

5. Could sign him to an extension after the year is up and go with an OF of Choo-Hamilton-Bruce with Ludwick being the power guy off the bench in 2014. This is what I am hoping for. I predict Choo's power numbers will improve substantially in GABP.

6. Reds signed Jack Hannahan as a backup infielder.

Scott Rolen has expressed interest in coming back with a smaller role.

Buster Olney expects Bruce to be the CF by the time Spring Training is over. Scouts don't think Choo will be able to play CF but Jocketty would prefer to keep Bruce in RF.

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Hamilton to the Angels

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Lots of runs in Anaheim next year for the home team. Probably the visitors too.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Every time a cash register rings an Angel gets his wings

10. robvols

robvols Member

Now you have a lineup with Trout,Pujols and now Hamilton. Plus if Trumbo can rediscover his bat, look out AL

11. robvols

robvols Member

Red Sox and Ryan Dempster agree on a two year deal.

12. robvols

robvols Member

Tigers on the verge of losing Anibel Sanchez to the Cubs.

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Ben Cherington is paying name brand prices for Ocean State Job Lot merchandise.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That may be the case based on name recognition but we've seen how that has worked out for the big spenders lately. My concern is that the Dodgers are banking on a lot of things to fall in place just right. They expect Josh Beckett to rebound from a bad season, they expect Carl Crawford to return from Tommy John surgery and be the guy the Red Sox signed, they expect Brandon League not to blow as many saves this year, they expect Hanley Ramirez to maintain a good attitude, they expect Zack Greinke to live up to the contract he just signed, they expect Matt Kemp to stay healthy all season, they expect Adrian Gonzalez to hit the ball like he did two years ago and Luis Cruz needs to lock up 3rd base. He hit well out of the 7 spot last season but just too many things have to go their way before I declare them a World Series team.

15. robvols

robvols Member

I believe we saw that with the Angels after the Pujols and Wilson signings, and we saw where that went. Now we'll probably see that again thanks to the Hamilton signing.

16. robvols

robvols Member

Tigers avert disaster by resigning Sanchez to a 5/80 deal.

17. robvols

robvols Member

18. robvols

robvols Member

Looks like the Braves are looking into Angels 1B/OF Mark Trumbo.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

To Hell with Rolen. He's the reason the Reds didn't make the NLCS. His fossilized ass needs to go home.

20. robvols

robvols Member

Amazing Rolen is still playing. He should retire and just give the job to Todd Frazer outright. He could just enjoy the bench life and pinch hitting apps.