The MLB Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by robvols, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I agree. He adds nothing at this point.

Frazier has the job. If they brought back Rolen it would be as a backup which I don't understand considering they just signed Hannahan for the same role.

2. robvols

robvols Member

That could mean Rolen could hang them up before the season starts.

3. robvols

robvols Member

IT'S OFFICIAL: Dickey gets traded to the Blue Jays

4. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I don't see room for Rolen. The only way he comes back would be because of Krusty - who I wish would leave with Rolen. My Reds are good. Nothing else needed IMO.

LA teams look stout this year. Happy for RA. The Jays could make some noise.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Offseason baseball! ****ing sweet. Now will somebody please kick me right square in the [penis]?

6. robvols

robvols Member

7. The only real need left is a true closer. I don't think Marshall or Broxton can get it done all year.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I despise Scott Rolen

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Not many Braves on here it doesn't look like ... with good reason too I guess. They are frustrating to say the least. Traded Tommy Hanson to the Angels for reliever Jordan Walden which is a nice addition to the bullpen where they also added David Carpenter from the Red Sox. Bullpen will be solid again this year but the starting rotation likely will be suspect down the stretch once again. Julio Teheran has had solid outings in DomRep and in dominating fashion. Live fastball around 95-96, stayed down in the zone and with good SO numbers. He loses command late after 5 or so innings. Not sure if he will be added to the game day rotation yet.

Juan Fransisco is leading the DomRep league with a 0.940 OPS but he's streaky at best as all Braves fans know. Adding BJ Upton was a terrible get IMO. His numbers don't equate to the contract given and will be bad money if you ask me. The Braves ballpark will not play to his strengths ... which aren't many seeing his .260 career average with 70+/- RBI.

Frustrating year ahead I think.

10. Still can't believe the braves traded jj hoover for Francisco. That trade has worked out extremely well for the reds.

11. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

When that happened I had to laugh. WJ got the Braves on that one.

I agree on the closer unless Broxton has been put on notice to get in shape as part of his deal. Marshall's a good set-up guy. I think they have in the back of their minds that they can always reroute Chappy to the pen in a pinch. I want to see Cingrani make it into the rotation. Dude is a serious talent and leftie to boot. If he can make it in - it gives them more wiggle room on Chappy as well. Hoover will help. I want them to lose Leake and Ondrusek to remove the temptation to use them.

12. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

You have a lot of friends (including me) in your corner on that one. Takes half the year off every year and still gets idiots like Krusty who will start him.

13. Got heem

Got heem New Member

Stop looking at batting average and RBIs and you'll see the real value in Upton.

I thought we left batting average and RBIs in the 90s

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Moneyball guy?

Bill? Is this an alter?

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

So enlighten me ... stolen bases? Defense? Why is Upton worth $12.5M a year?

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm not a money ball guy or a sabre metrics freak either. I just don't like like Upton over Bourne. Upton struck out 170 times last year and averages 160+ SO every year. He's feast or famine. Some days are glory and some days he dogs it. Adds a little power on the right side of the plate but he isn't protecting anyone and is iffy as a lead off due to the strike outs. I'm not saying he sucks but not for $12.5M.

17. robvols

robvols Member

I mean in a perspective, he is a bit younger than Bourn and is considered a five-tool player. I know the Braves have been looking at him for quite some time. The thing the Braves were concerned with Bourn was his age.

Meanwhile, the Yankees maybe looking at Bourn.

18. dknash

dknash Chieftain

One part defense, two parts low expectations for CF offensively, and seven parts FA market inflation due to TV contracts.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea why in the hell would we worry about BA and RBIs?

20. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Lol ... fair enough. I will give Upton the edge defensively if only for his arm ... has a better, more accurate, arm than Bourne. But the power alleys in Turner are a hell of a lot bigger than the Trop so his mediocre numbers at the plate will likely drop. And it was $15M a year, not $12.5M. Nice job Wren.