The MLB Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by robvols, Nov 1, 2012.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Trop played as a pitcher's park last year, and the Ted was effectively neutral, slightly favoring hitters. Both were pitcher's parks in terms of home runs, but the Trop more so. I think he could actually end up a little better numbers-wise. Hoping for a more patient approach at the plate, though, especially if he's near the top of the order.

Upton is also young for a FA, so his last couple years are more likely to be useful than several other CF options. He's a right-handed hitter, which has been an area of weakness for the team. It's not a steal or anything, but I think it's more or less what they were going to have to commit if they went the FA route, which is debatable with the budget constraints. Rumor has it that 2013 is the last year of the Braves' Peachtree TV closed-circuit television broadcast deal, though, which could help the financial situation.

2. robvols

robvols Member

Hopefully, Greg Walker will help him out.

Liberty just needs to sell to Blank.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

What did the Tigers pay for Torrey Hunter? Just wondering what his price was ... not suggesting the Braves should have pursued.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm sure Bourne will want too much money and I don't fault the braves for not dealing with Boras

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

2/$26

6. robvols

robvols Member

Angels send off Kendrys Morales to the Great Northwest for another starting pitcher in Jason Vargas.

7. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Angels have got to get pitching if they are going to get serious about this. How does this trade look. I know Vargas is a leftie.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

His wins above replacement stats from CF suggest mediocrity.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

BBRef's defensive stats don't like him, Fangraphs's do. If he isn't average or better defensively, it could definitely get ugly.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, bb reference is what I looked at. If this is how they are replacing Chipper's value to the team I am concerned.

11. robvols

robvols Member

They did go out and got Joe Blanton and Tommy Hanson; also added Sean Burnett to their relief corps.

12. robvols

robvols Member

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I went to school with Joe Blanton. Sat beside him in Spanish. Nice guy.

14. robvols

robvols Member

Few moves today:

Looks like Rangers manager Ron Washington and FA C AJ Pierzynski smoothed out their differences as the backstopper agreed to a deal.

The Cubs are trying hard to be relevant by signing pitchers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva.

Can you believe the Marlins are actually shopping after trading virtually half the team? They signed Placido Polanco to play third base. Earlier, they signed Juan Pierre to offset the loss of Jose Reyes's speed.

15. robvols

robvols Member

16. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

I think Theo is jealous of Billy Beane and wants his own movie.
    Seems to be following the same script.

17. robvols

robvols Member

Yeah, because he got burned with his spending philosophy during his Red Sox days.

18. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Theo wouldn't trade a horseshit movie for those rings.

20. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I bet John Henry would trade a shit load of money to have Tito and Theo back after the Valentine shitshow