Where Should I Eat in Your Hometown?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The secret is to find the places the Parisians frequent.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The reason Paris is one of my worst food experiences is because my friend with me was craving Chinese. I'm pretty sure what I had was 100% gristle, and what she had gave her food poisoning. We did try to find places that had actually French food, but I don't think we ever found anything with entrees under $25, and we were college students carrying backpacks and staying in hostels, so that didn't quite fly.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I imagine this is the secret pretty much everywhere. But it's easier said than done if you don't actually know Parisians.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Famers market, baguette, salami, cheese, tomato, bottle of wine, find a park. Some of my best times in Paris.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Google maps made my life infinitely easier when I was in Italy recently. Found multiple fantastic cheap restaurants. I do think that's easier in Rome than Paris though.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

You just talk to the people you come in contact with, taxi drivers, (if French) doormen, concierges, bell hops, etc.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think what's happening in Southern cities right now is pretty great. The food in Atlanta, Asheville, Charlotte and Charleston (just to name a few) is extraordinary at the moment.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That is good to hear. Everyone I've spoken with say the same - it is expensive, but felt the food and experience was worth doing it at least once.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

America is turning into one of the great food countries. Would have been unthinkable 30 years ago.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Two times I've been there certainly two of the top 10 meals of my life. Once my company paid. That was pretty awesome.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Wow, that is definitely awesome.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The Laundry is top notch. My only issue is that it is so far away from anything I give a damn about.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The best pizza I have ever eaten was in NY. I didn't think pizza could be that good. I couldn't tell you the name of the hole-in-the-wall joint it was or where it was. But, I do know that it seemed as big as a dining room table and was absolutely covered with an inch of cheese. It was a Sicilian style piece of Heaven on earth. Amazing.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Even Philly is in the midst of an incredible food renaissance.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

On a per capita basis (stateside), Charlottesville, VA is the best I've visited.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Recommendations under $ 25-30?

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Or are we talking about the big boy places?

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I absolutely love Rome.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah. I did more than I expected. Especially the Trastavere district.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Now we know why The Bat Woman Incident went down like it did. He was too pissed due to being envious of her costume to ask her out.