Where Should I Eat in Your Hometown?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Subtle "I get to enjoy the sun and shore life in warm south Florida and you sum*****es don't" post imho....

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Got off on the wrong foot I see.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I would trade you South Florida for East Tennessee any day. I have painted myself into a corner here, 8 years til retirement. Not one of those crappy 401K's more like a 20 and out deal.

I am going offshore fishing in two weeks for a 3 day trip, dolphin, grouper and tuna are the fish up for assassination. I put in for my gator tags in August and the hog hunting and bass fishing in Lake Okeechobee is not too bad.

For real though, if you take your woman to Sun Downers in Key Largo, she will not go home with dry panties.

4. JayVols

Haha. I understand. I'd like it for a while, but nothing beats my NE TN mountains.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Tautog's or Chick's Oyster Bar --Va Beach
    No Frill Bar and Grill --Norfolk
    Stick with a chain--Chesapeake

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I've been to the one in Coconut Grove three or four times and the one at South Beach two or three times, but it has been several years now, and I really have a craving for them.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Love the Keys, South Beach is not too bad either. My favorite place to stay is Loews. In Coconut Grove the Grand Bay.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Scratch was incredible. Went with trust pizza. Don't even know what was on it, but it was some of the best pizza i've ever had. Rolled in with a 6er of pbr. DJ'd the vinyl pretty much the whole time. Fun spot.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Okay. I'll have to try it now.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Looks like I should too, wonder if they have live music?

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My impression is that it is a really small place. It does have space outdoors, though.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I didnt get the impression that it's a live music spot. Very small. I had a blast rummaging through their records, though. Definitely worth a visit. Pizza was excellent. It's byob or else cokes and such in a cooler on the honor system.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Charleston
    My top 5 in no particular order:
    Hominy Grill: shrimp and grits and big nasty biscuit (fried chicken, cheddar cheese,sausage gravy) are my favorites

Husk: buffalo pig ear lettuce wraps.

Morgan Creek Grill upstairs bar (isle of palms) crab cake sandwich with remoulade. Great panoramic view of the ICW. Best place to watch football on tv

Hanks Seafood: grouper and she-crab are outstanding

Halls chophouse: lobster Mac and cheese and all their steaks are dry aged. Most expensive on the list.

Local breweries and distillery: Firefly, Coast, Westbrook, Holy City, and Palmetto Brewery offer tours

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Haven't been to the Grove in years. I killed a lot of brain cells there. I puked in the fountain right in front of Cocowalk. If my best friend, a cop, wasn't there I would have spent the night in jail. Brings back some good memories. Howl at the Moon, Cafe Cantina, crap I can't even remember some of the old places. Club St. Croix

15. JayVols

Are you currently in Charleston? If so, I come down every summer (Mid-late June). My daughter attends a clogging competition. It's in an old theater downtown a couple of blocks off the main drag. Would you be interested in grabbing a bite with me & the family if possible?

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Sure ill be around. My wife and I have a 5 year old son and would be glad to meet for some food and drink(s).

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, it's really small. The first time I went there they didn't even have chairs. Too standing tables inside and two picnic tables outside. BYOB, in the cooler they have Dr. Enuf and Mexican Coke and various things. They would make random desserts periodically and give samples to everyone there. The habenero cheesecake was. . . interesting.

I always go trust, and the results are always interesting, but never bad. Craziest one I've had was probably the smoked salmon and mandarin orange pizza with green curry and feta.

Glad you liked it, your experience seems to line up pretty well with mine, although I didn't look through their records. I need to go when I come back for a visit next week.

18. JayVols

Sweet. I'll be with the wife and 2 daughters (7 & 9). They love the downtown Sticky Fingers. It's a short walk from where my oldest is competing.

Patriot's Pointe is also a must for me every visit. It never gets old for me- plus I get inservice credit. Bonus!

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  19. MWR

MWR Contributor

Eating in LaFollette? Try these -The Tennessee Drive-In, The City Cafe, The Crystal Drive-In, The Western Sizzling or the Royal Pool room and have the special, the legendary "Jake Plate".

No, wait. They are all gone now. Nevermind.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Husk is a great dining experience. Their bar is one of the best kept secrets in Charleston.

I think that Fleet Landing is the best, cheap seafood you can get in town, and it is in a great location.

But there are so many good places in town it is hard to narrow them down. There is a place in N. Charleston called Nigel's that's a total hole in the wall but delicious. Right off Ashley Phosphate.