An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't agree either even at his most vitriolic.

And in the last couple of months, IP's not even been very incendiary around here.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Religion's driving force should be love.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thus fulfilling my hopes of leaving the world a better place.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Bingo.

I will say this... Throughout my divorce I've not heard from a single "religious" person. I was even a Sunday school teacher in my church. I've heard from the ones I expected to hear from. The ones I knew that had a relationship. The others are too busy either condemning or playing religion.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

First I've heard of this. Sorry bud.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

People sometimes forget that they too have sinned. Sorry to hear about your divorce.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not been one to advertise it. It sucks. But life is moving on. Finally got some answers as to why it went the way it did. Closure has helped.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your divorce/congratulations, NYY. Keep your head up. Life is too short for some things, and too long to go without others.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Thanks. And very true. I held on as long as I could for the kids. But was doing everyone a disservice by doing that. You can't fool kids.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fyp

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

As someone who grew up through it, no you can't. From my personal experience, if both parents aren't all in to make it work, you aren't doing the kids any favors by just dragging it out.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Christian religion, perhaps. There are other religions that are quite dark.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You've got folks that are with you, bro.

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Hope, the greatest strength and weakness that we have.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its not easy for anybody. Ive been blessed to be married for 10 years (come July) to the same wonderful woman. Ive also lived through 2 divorces as a kid. While its not ideal, good can be found in the long run. My parents got it together after the fact and have made the best of the situation. Id hope and pray for the same in your situation.

16. OrangeEmpire

Different frame of mind. I am a process long term guy. I view this life as a trial/process.

Are you a here and now personality?

17. OrangeEmpire

Love ya buddy

:)

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is the very sort of hypocrisy that brings so much scorn onto the church, and deservedly so.

Anyone who fails to understand that the greatest commandment is love, is ignorant, a fool or a fraud - and you're better off being surrounded by atheists who get that, than "religious" folks, who don't.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I witnessed my mother endure this very thing at the church that we were members of for my life up to 17 years of age. My mother and father divorced when I was 17. The church was all she had and they literally turned their back like she was contagious. It devastated her ... and me. I filled up with hate and held it for a very long time. My wife and I just began searching for a another church family a couple of weeks ago. Up until now, I just couldn't step foot in the door even though my belief stucture never changed.

I am also my wife's second husband. She got to talking to a woman Sunday morning at the last church we attended about their lives, high school, etc. My wife mentioned that she married right out of high school and was too young, got divorced, didn't have any children ... no big deal. The woman literally said, "You've been divorced? Oh." That's where I interjected, stepped between my wife and this woman and told her, "You, ma'am, are the reason that we haven't attended a church in 20 years. Tell your Pastor that you just ran off potential members." I could punch someone in the throat right now. That kind of stuff makes me hold a grudge.

20. OrangeEmpire

I have a similar story with my sister.

Also, I can remember my father supporting kids at school via a raffle and some rival jackass deacon had the Sunday Devotuonal and talked about the evils of gambling and indrectly talked about my father.

I was getting ready to lose my mind and my dad gently put his hand on my shoulder, smiled and shook his head no.