An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm certainly not familiar with the version of the Bible he's been studying all of these years. That's for sure.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, he sounded just like me except he still thinks there is a god.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There's so many it can be hard to keep track of them all.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Quite sure there aren't any in circulation that describe this individuals thoughts/beliefs as it pertains to Christianity.

7. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Just a guy trying to get some fame by pandering to liberal agendas

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Religion, true or false, is correct to pinpoint and grapple with the issue of sin. 98% of the problems we have on earth would be solved if there was no sin. The idea of being fully human, is one way of talking about such a transformation. It's also a way to talk about sin. We've "missed the mark."

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Sin" is a religious construct. Wronging people or behaving in a way that isn't good for society, sure. But "sin?"

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I hope there is more to this world than a limited life span and human understanding.

Rather depressing

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why do you think people need to invent something beyond that?

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sounds more like a humanist than a theologian.

I understand what he is saying about man trying to define God. This is one of my biggest struggles with my religion. I truly believe there is a personal God. I'm not sure that religion X's teachings are 100% accurate. I mean, how can man truly comprehend all that God is with certainty? We can't, imo. I don't think we can come close. I get what the guy is saying, but his answer sounds like it's wrapped up in humanity rather than God. I don't subscribe to that view.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think so. It makes everything and every moment amazing and precious. On the contrary, believing this is all some sort of cosmic testing ground and ultimately meaningless filler before an eternal life is pretty depressing to me.

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Fascinating juxtaposition. I suppose ideally we should fully appreciate and make the most of every moment, while also working to position ourselves for any possibility of afterlife. I don't think the two must necessarily be in opposition, but I can certainly see challenges.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Two completely different experiences. Enjoy the beauty and complexity of this life while you can. If you are a Christian, you also believe in an amazing and beautiful eternity.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe in an "afterlife." Life will go on after I'm dead. I am all for setting things up to be better for people after me.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Thats why I prefer a relationship.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's good, because it seems like all you do for the folks currently with you is focus on making them miserable.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not true.