The Updated "It's not a sport"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[​IMG]

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, that's Jesse Eisenberg. Cera was the dude from Juno and Superbad.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

all those white people look the same to me.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am blushing!

I tried watching it over the years, but they seem to talk 80% of the time, commercial 10% of the time and wrestle the other 10%. Hyperbolic, yes, but I just cannot watch it.

5. Unimane

This sounds racist.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I don't watch wrestling. That is Michael Cera in the .gif.

7. Unimane

Same here. I just don't get it, so much soap opera stuff. I always found it odd that people at these events got so angry at guys who they knew were playing a role.

8. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

great theatre often garners a visceral reaction from a captive audience.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just watch the classic Hulk Hogan heel turn. Great theater. But now, I don't know, perhaps as I have gotten older I just don't get it anymore. It just seems different. A LOT different.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I find that and MMA a little too homoerotic for my tastes.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I only watch Super G. Maybe Giant Slalom. But Super G...that's how it's done. My skiing style is very much Super G, but of course nowhere near that level. In fact, last time I went to CO, the US Junior Championships were going on at Beaver Creek the one day I went there to ski, and it was a humbling experience. Those 14, 15, 16 year old kids were absolutely damn amazing. I tried to follow their line all day. I was really blown away. I pretty much think I'm the best skier on the mountain no matter where I go, but even the kid that finished last in that race would make me look silly. Those kids were getting sideways every. single. turn.

12. kidbourbon

I agree. It's a terrible spectator sport. If boxing had anything loosely resembling decent leadership, it would be and forever remain more popular than MMA.

I mean, sliding over to full mount and then doing some ground and pound? I don't care to watch that.

13. kidbourbon

Golf is a certainly a real sport. The ultimate finesse sport. Simple in its objective; difficult in the execution.

But I think it sucks. If I'm gonna play a sport where I don't have to move, I'll go with darts.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Same here. A buddy and I were going to go out one night, and I asked him what he wanted to do. He wanted to go find a bar with some UFC PPV on. I shook my head and asked him if he was sure he wouldn't rather cuddle while we watched it...

So instead, we shot pool. You know. Took long sticks and tried to put our balls in holes together.

15. kidbourbon

So long as you kept your hands on your own stick, you're good.

16. Unimane

If you two are trying to draw NY into the thread, just send him a PM.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My buddy is a huge mma fan and my father in law is a huge fight fan so I've seen most of the top ppv events the past couple of years. I'd take anything but the women's undercard of boxing over a couple of guys ****ing each other for 30 minutes.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'll watch the fights for free. I refuse to pay for it, or really go out of my way to watch it.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm the same about MMA. I have no idea why it's supposed to be so great to watch.

20. Unimane

+1. I don't understand the allure, either, and I'm tired of MMA aficionados ragging on boxers because they can fight all these different styles. Big ****ing deal. 90% of the time you are just wrestling on the ground and punching. It's not like they're a bunch of Bruce Lees. And, perhaps I'm just not much of a rugged man on this one, but I always found it distasteful that a lot of the fights end with someone throwing a dozen punches at some limp, lifeless opponent. Surely, they can figure out they won before battering some semiconscious rag doll.