The Updated "It's not a sport"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I understand your point. But I'll counter that the sports you're counting as sports are trading subjectivity in scoring for subjectivity in the play of the game. A charge vs. a block? A pass interference or not? A holding or not? A strike or a ball? Hell, I'm actually pretty proud of tennis here. It's relatively objective. So is golf, I guess.

It's interesting when you give some thought to the "purity" of sports. Football is just a ridiculously contrived sport, and yet it's our most popular sport. The 100 meter dash is pure focking sport, and yet we watch it once every four years.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think I can agree that most sports are, in some way, contrived creations. I think the issue of the charge/block call is that it's really not a subjective call, although it's a difficult call and hard to identify, whereas the Sean White quadruple flip is still based upon an idea of asthetics and graded as such. Also, as a track guy, I find it unfortunate that the pure events of track and field aren't more closely followed in this country.

3. Unimane

4. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

perhaps you should stop giving us so much fodder.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i have only 2 things i look forward too regarding the winter olympics, downhill skiing and curling.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bobsled is a "sport" basically affordable and played by 200 people on earth. at least all ice dancing requires is a pair of skates and a rink. it would be like my brother in law getting ladderball into the Olympics and him becoming an immediate gold medalist.

7. Unimane

You mean something real that no one can ever produce or the bullshit characterization that's been offered?

8. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

my original comment was meant to be facetious, but it's rooted in the opinions you yourself choose to share. quit getting so pissy and learn to laugh at yourself sometimes.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He's too busy feeling guilty about being white. He doesn't have time to laugh.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everyone knows golf is the only real sport.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

nascar

12. Unimane

White guilt is stupid and I'm still pissed no one said anything about my comment that Michael Cera will be the first openly asexual public figure.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

fyp

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

well done.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

100% agree.

16. NorrisAlan

I would have commented, but a) I am too guilty to comment and b) I have no freaking clue who Michael Cera is.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wrestler?

18. NorrisAlan

If you are talking about WWE wrestling, I haven't watched it since the mid 80's when it was still the WWF and WCW was still on TBS.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He must be a riot at parties

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

apparently it's the dude from the facebook movie