The Updated "It's not a sport"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm not really that invested. As I said before, it's fun watching you melt your balls off over the subject. But I can certainly respect the difficulty of the event, the amount of conditioning and practice that goes into it, and the time the competitors dedicate to it.

I also don't recall where I said you couldn't post your thoughts, regardless of who may or may not give a shit. In fact, I believe I actually encouraged you to keep going, if for no other reason than my entertainment.

2. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

unimane, based on most all of your other opinions, i already assumed that you hate/strongly disagree with 95% of winter olympic events.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You said that the IOC wouldn't give a shit about my opinion. I didn't realize that was relevant to making my statement. And, this has nothing to do with respecting the abilities or time of these people, but the inclusion of these events as sports.

I'm glad you are entertained. I thought that was the point of these boards, to have a little fun and have some lively conversations.

4. Unimane

Why would you assume that?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't disagree with your point that the skills and effort on display are impressive, but it should basically be exhibition style world gatherings and the competitive things should be left to events where the winner is determined by something other than judges.

6. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

call it a hunch.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's because of all those white people

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Cool Runnings or gtfo

9. Unimane

Oh yes, I've really expressed my hatred of white people. That's what I thought he was getting at, but just wanted to hear it. I'm still waiting to see this evidence of me expressing my disdain for whites.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/forum.php

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

here's a link to my source info. you'll have to dig a little, but not much. http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/forum.php

12. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

beat me to it. hahaha

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

lol good times

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Honestly, with the exception of track and field and maybe MMA and boxing, no sports are really sports. Were the cavemen lining up no more than five men in the backfield in an attempt to gain ten yards at a time with a run or a forward pass? Were they bouncing a ball and then trying to aim it through an elevated hoop? Were they trying to hit a ball with a stick and then running around in a circle if they did? Were they trying to hit a ball with a flat surface extending from a stick back and forth to each other over a net? Were they ever swimming with a butterfly stroke? Or a backstroke?

Ice dancing is no less contrived than any of the above.

15. Unimane

So, nothing? Pretty much what I expected. Oh, I forgot, I think the use of the term "Redskins" is wrong and said white privilege exists, so, naturally, I somehow hate white people. Go it.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I do.

17. Unimane

Interesting take, but does that mean that the only things that qualify as sport are things endemic to the Stone Age? To me, a sport requires objectivity rather than subjectivity. Creating an artificial sense of artistry in these events does not qualify for me.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The Mayans were. Hoops and ball like objects, at least.

19. kidbourbon

I have to disagree. Swinging on bars and doing flips or snowboarding down a halfpipe and doing flips is no more contrived than aiming a bouncy ball at a 10ft hoop from 23 feet away. The only difference is that judges aren't required to determine whether one did well at shooting the ball at the hoop but are necessary to determine whether Shaun white's quadruple twisting triple backside flip is better than the other guy's double twisting jackknife jackknife forward flip backflip half twist. It's all completely arbitrary.

20. kidbourbon

Only because hoops and balls and racquet-ish device and balls and barriers to hit things over were relatively accessible. If they had snowboards and halfpipes, they would have needed judges.