Bad Boys.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Apr 17, 2014.

1. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Dumars was a basketball player. Warrior.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I like how the '86 Celtics and '87 Lakers are lauded as two of the absolute best teams ever, but somehow immediately fell off the cliff when the Pistons hit their stride. Interesting coincidence.

3. hatvol96

They did screw up the ending. The real end for the Pistons wasn't the loss in the Eastern finals to Chicago in '91. It was when Riley's Knicks beat them at their own game in the first round the next season. That's when the curtain came down for good.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah. Dumars didn't get near the credit he deserved and Thomas got too much.

Thomas mad it easier to not like them.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Being removed several years, its amazing how much the game has changed in the way its played and called.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Funny that the Russell era Celts fell apart when Russell could no longer dominate too.

One could say the same of Detroit sucking after Jordan added some pieces and they lost some.

That Detroit team would have been mauled by the two teams you listed.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Did you forget 1988?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Could care less about the Celtics, but I don't exactly remember this happening. I was a Jordan/Bulls (and Bucks) fan once I started watching the NBA at about 8 years old, which would have been 1985. The Pistons were good, not great, and merely transitioned the league between eras of the actual dynasties of the NBA in the 80s and 90s. Once Scottie Pippen learned not to be a little [itch bay] when faced with physicality, the Pistons had no answer. I certainly don't long for the days of a no talent hack like Bill Laimbeer clothes-lining someone and pretending it was part of some great moment in NBA history.

9. hatvol96

Yeah, the dropoff was so precipitous in one year the Pistons went from "would have been mauled" to playing both of those teams to the buzzer in Game 7s on the road.

10. hatvol96

When, but for a phantom foul call, the Pistons beat the Lakers in Game SIx and win the first of three straight?

11. hatvol96

It was right there in the documentary last night. Always amazing how selective people's memories are.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Laimbeer would have been a great heel wrestler.

13. hatvol96

Yep. Laimbeer had so little talent he's got over 10,000 career rebounds and was one of the better shooting big men of his era.

14. hatvol96

He was too busy being a great NBA center.

15. hatvol96

Laimbeer nearly spiking Dominique through the Omni floor is one of the best moments in league history.

16. Unimane

They also win 1 or 2 more titles without Jerry Krause. I'm not so sure that they don't do the second three-peat with someone else at PF other than Rodman, but, probably, not as easily.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not many people embrace being the villain as well as he did. It takes actual talent to be that big of a ********, and I mean that as a compliment to Laimbeer.

18. Unimane

Didn't see the doc. I will take your word for it, just said I don't remember this happening.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see how any sane person could argue otherwise.

20. hatvol96

Uh, no. Considering Krause is the guy who discovered Pippen and drafted Ho Grant and aquired every other meaningful guy outside of Jordan. Without Krause, they never win the first title.