Bad Boys.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Apr 17, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What else did Oscar win?

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't recall his ever playing defense.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Thomas hasn't seen a day that anyone on that team wanted to play with him. All would have gladly played with Price.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Thomas would have been on that team were it not for the fact that the other players hated his guts and Magic and Bird credentials and legacy got them on that team, even if Bird was a shell of himself in '92. However, Drexler and Dumars were both healthy two guards in their prime and Drexler was chosen.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I recall the collegiate and professional teams he won titles with being fantastic defensively. That doesn't happen if the opposing lead guard is having his way.

6. Unimane

Just to throw another one out there, of the teams that won titles in the 80s, I'd put the Pistons at 4th (or last). I like the '83 Sixers better than them, too.

7. hatvol96

I can't imagine Isiah would have had any interest in aging with chokers like Malone, Stockton, and Drexler. He had a winning record in the postseason against Bird, Jordan, and Johnson, so I'd say the feeling was mutual. Pretty sure Ewing's ringless ass would have rather seen Zeke out top for the Knicks than Doc Rivers and Greg Anthony.

8. hatvol96

Of course you would. Nothing says greatness like defending your title with a playoff loss to New Jersey.

9. hatvol96

So, was it about basketball or personalities? Mitch Ritchmond was destroying Drexler every time he saw him then. Drexler was chosen because he was one of NBA marketing's guys and he would play the role of Jordan's flunkie. Just one of the many house boys for MJ in that period.

10. Unimane

Who said anything about the '84 Sixers? I said the '83 version.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

But you agree Kareem was completely washed up during the last two chips?

12. Unimane

Yeah, those NBA people just decided to keep a flunkie like Drexler going back to the All-Star game year after year and sending him to the Finals three times while a non-lap dog Ritchmond didn't. So unfair. Thomas was the only guy 86ed from that team for personality reasons and the fact remains that Drexler was considered to be better than Dumars for that team still clearly says that more than two people think so.

This doesn't seem to suggest that Richmond was destroying Drexler, at all.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=drexlcl01&p2=richmmi01

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. hatvol96

We're using All Star games? You aren't going to like where that leads. Only baseball all star appearances are more worthless. That measure can be used in support of some really awesome nonsense.

14. hatvol96

If you are arguing Dumars v. Drexler, the '90 Finals probably aren't something you want in the equation.

15. Unimane

You mean the one in which Drexler averaged 26 points? Granted, the Pistons won the series, but I think Drexler did just fine against Dumars and the Pistons.

16. hatvol96

Of course you do. That's what losers like Drexler and Wilkins like people to think. "Hey, we got ours." Doesn't matter that the matchup that most favors your team isn't being exploited so you can get your shots in order to avoid a pouting session, just get those numbers. Amazing how guys like Derrick Coleman got killed for simply following the lead of guys like that.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Completely? Rebounded, passed reasonably, made FTs, and was a late game go to. The late version if Jabbar was much better than Shaq.

18. hatvol96

The late version of Jabbar wasn't appreciably better than Kevin Duckworth.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

With respect to Bird and Magic, there's a good reason for that (See Zeke's first five years).

20. Unimane

Wilkins or Coleman never sniffed an NBA Finals. Drexler fit his role on his team just fine, they just weren't, collectively, as good as the other teams of that era.