In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You don't need a mobile qb with a bad offensive line. There are plenty of schemes that get the ball out quickly. You are looking at running a lot of slants, bubble screens, etc, but it can put up points.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Coach Jones.

Can you explain the thought process behind our play calling on the last drive of the 3rd quarter?

Thanks. I ll hang up and listen. Go Vawls!

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm not arguing that you can't get quick throws out.

I was speaking to the comment that we need a mobile QB, and admitting that it would be great if we did, but we don't.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

lol

lol

lol

5. CardinalVol

Butch is getting testy on the fact that we're not running a read option, but running a straight handoff. Now, I'm still not sure I believe him, but he's getting pretty feisty on that point.

6. CardinalVol

The lone defense I'll allow of him is that the O-line is both inexperienced and not talented.

That, at this point, is offset by the fact that they've still not gotten any better this year at all and as OV said in another thread, are fundamentally poor.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He regularly holds the ball for an eternity. Whether he sees the hit coming or not, he has to know it is eminent. If he were so fearful he's just intentionally chuck one short but in the general direction of whatever receiver he was eyeing.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Would our OL be a glaring problem if we had a QB executing the read option?

9. CardinalVol

Not as much as it is, but would still be a rather large one.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Now you're just making excuses

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm no defensive coordinator but call me skeptical of the fact of Worley keeping it for a couple of 6 yard gains would drastically alter the way I approach defending this offense

12. Beechervol

Its all about being in obvious passing downs. If you can't make the opposing D respect your run (whoever runs it) your gonna be in a bunch of those downs.

13. CardinalVol

I've tried to watch the replays when we run the no read specifically to watch the guy with contain. He seems to be doing a semi-crash, shuffling down the line to help with the run if needed but maintaining the QB as well. He's still in position to make the play on the QB if he does keep it. They seem to be "crashing" a little bit harder than most ends do on the read option, but he's still not going full speed either.

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Then, your last statement is the problem. I don't think Butch will be fired soon and never said he deserved to be. But, I have genuine concerns about the current staff's use of what we do have and ability to create winning game plans. Since I have been on this site, it has, for the most part, seemed to welcome honest discussion and critique without accusations of not being true fans. All of us are tired of losing and some of us believe that despite all of our shortcomings, we could've and should've beaten FL. I would like to see Butch succeed, but I think he can do better with what he have than he has.

15. Beechervol

I think that will guarantee that he won't make 5 years.

16. Beechervol

Tenny has laid down

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree, but when Peterman was in, we threw nonstop with him. Conversely, Peterman is actually better suited to run the read option. We didn't do that. Any. That's one example why it's a fair complaint to say that our coaches do not put they players they do have the best chance to succeed.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The OL last year

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think an athletic QB who is willing to tuck the ball 10 times a game makes a big difference all around. Imagine having a Nick Marshall or someone like that running this offense. We'd easily be 4-1 right now.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If facts are excuses, yes.

Live and learn, I've been told. Learned quickly that metal carries current at a young age too.