In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We did the read option. Peterman fumbled.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My mistake.

3. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I don't get it. Last week, everyone was in agreement that Worley was one tough SOB but now...he's not? Because he doesn't tuck the ball and run, when it's been noted that the coaches have told him not to...? What am I missing here?

Worley's not, nor has he ever been, a dual-threat QB. He's a pocket passer. The only QB that I can recall who ran more awkwardly than Worley was Casey Clausen--and he ran like a man who's been stricken with Parkinson's for the better half of a decade. (no offense intended to anyone with Parkinsons). If anything, the fact that the no-read option play, or whatever the f**k Butch and Bayjay want to call it, is continually ran is an indictment on the staff, not Worley's toughness, or [newly?] perceived lack thereof. It is the single most ridiculous play we run and, for some f**king reason, it's run with consistency.

Whether he flinches in the face 2-3 DL in his face for the majority of the game has no bearing on his toughness, IMO. At this point, it's a conditioned reflex, now that he's used to his OL whiffing on their blocks as if we're running screens every damn play.

His actions last week versus UGA; injuring his elbow on his throwing arm, then coming back in and throwing two quick TD's, is enough empirical evidence to prove his toughness--mental and physical, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

He isn't really suited for it. He's Tebow without the bullish strength, runs with all the awkwardness of a FB and none of the toughness. I thought he'd be perfect for it coming out of high school, but he doesn't look like half the runner he did coming out. Plus he has no idea how to read it. The fumble at Georgia is an example. He just doesn't seem like a bright dude.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It has absolutely nothing to do with Worley's toughness. If nothing else he's earned respect in my eyes for his toughness. That being said, he's not the ideal guy to be running this type of offense. Butch and Co know that but apparently don't care because they've said **** it, run it anyway. Of all things with this staff, the reasoning behind that is probably my biggest question/gripe.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Nothing will change until we get 5 better offensive lineman. Period,zilch,nada. I don't care who is at QB, who the wideouts are or who is running the ball. It all starts with the 5 up front.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

UCLA and Oregon score plenty with terrible olines. UCLA started 3 true frosh on their oline last year. That isn't to say a good oline isn't important, only that it's possible to have a capable offense without a great oline.

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

As you recall, Dooley tried about 15 men on Defense against LSU. Maybe Butch could line up about 15 men on the O-line. Hopefully that would even things up.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You can play with terrible people properly coached.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hmm, maybe if he had 5 on the line, then 4 behind them in the gaps...

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I love this quote

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Butch/Bajak disagrees.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I've made two points in that brief post.
    A. Butch's offense is designed behind the idea of the West Coast
    B. They try to do everything under the sun with it.

I know for a fact that both of those are true so please enlighten me with what you know that I don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm a fan of doing a few things great

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Its why pulling things out of your ass on the sidelines never results in W's.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

We do about 2-3 things a game offensively that it should be obvious to the generic fan that haven't been practiced much.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That Wildcat package must be thrown in during walkthrough it appears.

And it's one of the better packages we have.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Paper, Rock, Scissors is all you need.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And sometimes Lizard, Spock.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That screen to Hurd in the redzone was a great example.