In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Can't be us. QB is under center in most of those plays.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'd have no problem with their pace if only it made ONE LICK OF [dadgum] SENSE WITH WHAT THEY ARE DOING ON OFFENSE. They've been running this system since 2010 yet decided now (when they are low on depth and talent at OL/QB) to add an extra speed wrinkle just for shits and giggles? It doesn't benefit them or what they are trying to do thus their pace is nonsensical.

3. JayVols

Peer prressure, imo.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It's idiocy, Jay. They don't even try to gash someone when going off the no huddle anymore, they are just praying for a 'too many men on the field' from the defense.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Are you implying that they drew that up in the dirt during the timeout?

Quick story: I walked through the puntrooskie several years back when visiting Clemson. I distinctly remember hearing one of their old gray IPTAY members say, "What is that motherf##### doing?"

6. JayVols

Tempo is great when you have depth and a field general at QB. Tempo for us means the defense gets back on the field faster.

I mean, it seems like the only reason for going an up tempo is because lots of other folks are doing it. Therefore, we should do it. Monkey see monkey do.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.
    Im not sure why we bother right now.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not a coach.

BUT-- tempo for tempo's sake is stupid. It would be far more effective to run at a normal, leisurely pace for 3 plays, then switch to uptempo mid drive. Or run entire drives at a leisurely pace, then run uptempo out of the blue. Running uptempo all the time just conditions the defense to it. Further, what is the point if your own players are missing assignments, false-starting, or unable to snap the MFing ball?

9. JayVols

You're smarter than Bajayjay then, imo.

Think it through.
    Butch- "These 5 guys are all we have."
    Worley- He'll never be mistaken for a Mensa member.
    Butch- "We're starting 2 freshmen on the right side of our line. Nobody else in the country is doing that."
    Defense- talented but thinner than a groom's ears on day 6 of a week long homeymoon.
    Running back- we have one truly talented back. A freshman. After that, we got nothing.

Butch & Bigeastian- "Hell yeah! Let's go FAST on offense! Works for Oregon! "